• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Giving the correct name..

khudgins81

KatiesSnakes
I suppose I have a silly question, but I'd like to know for future reference. When/if you bred an Okeetee to any other morph/locality that ISN'T another Okeetee (for example, Reverse Okeetee x Lavender Motley ph amel) what would be the correct term/name for the babies? They aren't Okeetees right? Would Okeetee Outcross be the right term? I hope my question makes sense, thanks!

I think it depends on what the babies look like. I think I'd go with Okeetee outcross, because Okeetee (and Miami) has been bred for so many generations it is very strong.

Or Okeetee-ish, or Miami-ish.

They would simply be normal corns het lavender/motley. UNLESS some were obvious "Okeetee" (phase), or "Miami" (phase) phenotypes (meaning outward visual look). The locality aspect of those names are immediately null and void from the equation if they were out-crossed to anything other than that particular locale or phase. Big difference from an Okeetee locale and an Okeetee phase corn. The additional 'phase" depicts that the snake is non-locale, but does have the outward phenotype associated with many known from that particular locale.

cheers, ~Doug

If you breed okeetee to a reversed okeetee then all hatchlings will be from okeetee lineage and will develop much orange and big borders.

I think "okeetee outcross" is good when you breed to other morphs. The buyer might want to know that many of the hatchlings will turn orange. If the other parent have genes from grey/miami lines then some hatchlings will develop less orange and more grey. To say it is a "outcross" tells the buyer that there is a risk that the hatchling will not develop into a true okeetee looking animal.

Even if you breed a okeetee to another morph, to get the most out of it you should select a breeding partner that is very colourful or with big black borders (that have some okeetee traits).

Okeetee originally meant an animal from the Okeetee Hunt Club- a piece of property in South Carolina made famous in Kauffeld's "The Keeper and the Kept." I have a great fondness for the locality animals from there, but much more popular in the hobby are Okeetee-phase animals, which are not necessarily from that region, but are bred to have bright reds and oranges and thick, black borders.

I like the term "locality" to signify snakes that were collected at a specific location, or who can trace lineage directly back there with no outcrossing.

It's interesting how Okeetee-phase (and Miami -phase) animals now are so much nicer-looking than than the original animals they were named after. What would be a nice Okeetee 15 years ago would be classified as just a normal now.

Back