• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Going away for a week

error11

I'm gonna be going on a week long trip and I was wondering what you guys think I should do about heating. I use 2 lamps one for day/night and I don't know if I should keep one on the whole week or leave them both off or what. I don't know if it will catch fire or anything if I leave it on lol. What do you think I should do?

Do you have only lights? or UTH too?

I probably wouldn't leave lights on...

I a facing this same dilemma this summer I'm going away for a week, but I'm just gonna leave the UTH's on and feed before I go. I have someone that'll come in and check the house every couple days :)

Do you have only lights? or UTH too?

I probably wouldn't leave lights on...

I a facing this same dilemma this summer I'm going away for a week, but I'm just gonna leave the UTH's on and feed before I go. I have someone that'll come in and check the house every couple days :)

I only have lights and no one to check on the house D:
What is one to do?!

What kind of temps is the house running right now? Corns can tolerate a little cooling, especially on an empty stomach, but too hot could cook them, so I would be inclined to feed a couple days early or not feed them and leave the lights off. That way, if the house got too warm, they wouldn't cook. As long as they have clean water bowls with plenty of water, and they can't turn them over, they should be fine that way.

I would definitely not leave lights on. I would be way too afraid of the fire hazard. Also, there are plenty of stories of people leaving their houses on vacation, heat waves occurring, and them coming home to dead snakes. I can't remember hearing of the reverse.

What about a timer? The ones you plug into the outlet, & plug the light/heat source into the timer, then you can set it to turn on for a set amount of time & then it will turn off.

Forget the timers, forget the lights altogether. There's a real risk of fire, overheating for the animal, and other things. There's really no risk leaving it without heat as long as it isn't digesting and your house won't get below 50 F. Remember that they live in the wide world without guarantees of temperatures or scheduled meals. Their metabolic rate is about 20% that of a humans, so a week without food isn't a big deal at all, even for babies.

Make sure your last feeding is 3-5 days before you plan to leave. Leave at least two bowls of water in the viv in case the snake decides to pass waste in one of them. (This applies even if he's never done that before.) Turn off the lights, make sure the viv is secure and enjoy your vacation.

How old is your snake, by the way?

Forget the timers, forget the lights altogether. There's a real risk of fire, overheating for the animal, and other things. There's really no risk leaving it without heat as long as it isn't digesting and your house won't get below 50 F. Remember that they live in the wide world without guarantees of temperatures or scheduled meals. Their metabolic rate is about 20% that of a humans, so a week without food isn't a big deal at all, even for babies.

Make sure your last feeding is 3-5 days before you plan to leave. Leave at least two bowls of water in the viv in case the snake decides to pass waste in one of them. (This applies even if he's never done that before.) Turn off the lights, make sure the viv is secure and enjoy your vacation.

How old is your snake, by the way?

That is exactly my advice. Lights scare the bejeebus out of me. I only use them for lizards and only because I have to.

I'd just turn the thermostat in your snake room up to 80 degrees and not worry for the week you are gone.

Back