• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Going on vacation

D'n'D

New mom to bloodred Elsa
Hi folks,

We are going on vacation and will be aways until July 17. My Elsa (corn) has just eaten a few days ago but now she's going into the blue so I can't feed her before leaving on June 30. I would think that she will be OK as long as I provide enough water and a humid hide. What do you think?

Same for Olaf, my little hognose. He more than tripled his size since we got him, but he's still small ... 35g (male hoggies don't grow huge to begin with). I will feed him on the 30th of June before we leave, and then we'll be back in mid July.

Also, let's say the water evaporates completely ... how long can they go without water? I'm thinking that when they brumate, they don't eat/drink anything, right? so this will be worst case scenario, they could remain a few days up to a week without water if the water evaporates too fast. Thoughts?

Water always needs to be supplied. They need water when they brumate and yours are not brumating. Get reptile water resevoirs, as well as their regular water dishes and have someone who can check on them at least two times a week. Also since they are not digesting unplug the heat pads. It's safer.

I would leave them each two LARGE ceramic bowls of water. Untippable. Two in case they poop in one. And unplug UTHs.

Water always needs to be supplied. They need water when they brumate and yours are not brumating. Get reptile water resevoirs, as well as their regular water dishes and have someone who can check on them at least two times a week. Also since they are not digesting unplug the heat pads. It's safer.

You are brilliant! I found the reservoirs on amazon and ordered them - will receive them tomorrow! and yes, they won't need the UTH, it's quite hot in our house during summer. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks for the suggestion Nancy. I'll leave their normal dish along with the reservoirs. Although, it look like i have well behaved snakes - they don't poop in their water ... just in my bed ...

Happy to help. As to pooping in the water dish you really lessen the chance of that if they have digested before you leave. As to pooping on the bed, just lets say I washed two blankets this week!

Got my reservoirs today - we're all set. And both buggers are in the blue now ... hoping they will shed easily while we're gone.

They should with all that water. Check your humidity. With no uth and no lights to dry things out chances of good sheds are extremely high.

If in doubt leave them humid hides. Those should stay damp for at least a week. I've found that if they don't use them before the shed they use them for a few days after, so one way of another no stuck shed.

Glad you are all set! I need to buy a third resevoir myself before my next trip.

They are already both in the blue and deep in their humid hides so ... by early next week they should have shed. I kind of miss them already since they've gone into hiding both of the same time. I got used to the little hoggie bugger to keep me company in my home office - I like the fact that he's so active during the day ... and then at night it's Elsa's turn to get the TLC. Now they are both curled up somewhere and I'm getting the cold shoulder ...

Back