• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Gone for the weekend, what do I do?

parzi

I am going out of town during the weekend and will not be home. What do I need to prepare for my snake while my time of absence? I filled up his water bowls and kept the UTH on. Should I keep the night or day lamp on? He eats on Mondays so that's not a problem. Anything I need to do? Please give as much info ass possible. Thanks

If it is likely to be really hot, I would turn off the UTH to avoid the risk of overheating him. Unless his viv is in a really dark room I'd leave the lights off.

I'm planning on keeping the UTI on because I always leave it on and he just goes under his den where it is if it gets to cold and if it gets to hot he'll bury himself under the water dish. But should I keep the night lamp on or day or neither?

I would do neither unless he is in a totally dark room if you don't. If he lives in the basement, then leave the night lamp on, but if there are any windows, the little bit of daylight he gets will be enough.

You don't really need a lamp at any time for heat unless the room gets too cold for the UTH to work. If you have the light to simulate night/day because there are no windows, you could probably get a timer pretty easily.

Do you have the UTH hooked up to a thermostat or rheostat. If it is hooked up to a thermostat, it will shut itself off. It is hooked up to a rheostat, then I would just make sure not to change the temp in the room by turning off the A/C while you are gone (or adjust the AC lower while you are still there to set the rheostat). If you don't have it hooked up to either, you should get one because whether you are there or not it should be regulated. They get surprisingly hot.

Agree with all of the above. A thermostat really will be your friend and the lights are unnecessary.

Corns can happily be left alone for a week - as long as they're healthy and have clean drinking water, they're designed to go for months without food, so a week is nothing. If I go away for more than a week, I get someone to drop by and change their water every few days. A weekend is no problem at all.

He'll be fine. Just make sure he has plenty of clean water. I've left my snakes up to a week. Never had any issues. That's one of the nice things about them, you can leave them alone for a week and not have to worry about it.

Corns can happily be left alone for a week - as long as they're healthy and have clean drinking water, they're designed to go for months without food, so a week is nothing. If I go away for more than a week, I get someone to drop by and change their water every few days. A weekend is no problem at all.

That's exactly what I did when I left town for a week and a half recently. They're fine with very little attention, as long as the temperature remains good. And a little too cold is better than a little too hot, especially if they have nothing in their bellies to digest at the time.

A $3 timer from Wal-mart works great for turning your day-light on and off. I use one even when I am home.

Back