• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Good Ol' English snakes!

BluJugganaut

Guy who wants a snake
ive always wanted to go on a search just to look at snakes, but unfortunately i never know how to find em, since Adders and Grass snakes are so shy, how do i spot them easily? and where?

Ive always lived in the countryside and only ever seen a Grass when i was about 6 lol

me to

it is very hard, when i worked aberdeen as a gamekeeper, for the first month i lifted evey stone and got right in about any place where i thought there might be a snake but evetualy i saw an adder when i wasnt looking then i kept seeing them every where then i had a few phone calls to move one or two, as for grass snakes i have only ever seen one at my uncles pond in devon soif you want to set up and pond u might be in luck also a compost heap as they like to lay there eggs in them. as a general rule it is very difucult to find when just looking

hope this help

the americans are so spoiled and alot of them kill any snakes they come across

the best and definately easiest way to see british species of snakes would probably be to look into your local reptile/herpetological society, they usually set up all sorts of local outings.

The other option is to research. Your best starting point for seeing them is by starting choosing a place you'll know they'll be, if you see what i mean .... :shrugs::crazy02: Go online and do a million searches, or to your local vets maybe, or by asking other local people, network man! hehe.

By doing the above i easily found out that there were two well known adder populations local to my parents house in North Wales.

Hope that helps
Tom

oh yeah forgot to mention, if you go on your local authorities website ie. your local council website, do a seach for an official document they all have to produce called a 'Biodiversity Action Plan', they have to give detail on all the species found in their area and it should be very easy to find and view.

i just typed "cornwall" and "snakes" into google and it had loads of links, the first one said something like "Come with us to find grass snakes etc."

Take a trip to Hampshire like i am in the summer.Preferably go to west Hampshire the place is beautiful and west Hampshire has a huge amount of adders and grass snakes and if your really really lucky you MIGHT see the extremely rare Smooth Snake.I WILL FIND ONE THIS SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'd be surprised at the places snakes turn up in. I once saw a grass snake swimming a river in the middle of a city.

About 5 years ago I was fishing on Cannock Chase and a 5ft Grass snake slithered accross the path and went between me and my dads keepnets. It was superb. I was like 3ft away from it.
Being a taxidermist i get to see alot of snakes that die on the chase. every now and then you get some idiot killing them. I sometimes get an Adder that has been hit with a spade and splatted. I always refuse to do them. Some people are so ignorant, just because its venomous they think its going to chase and bite them. I always say if you see another one just walk around it, dont kill it:angry01:

About 5 years ago I was fishing on Cannock Chase and a 5ft Grass snake slithered accross the path and went between me and my dads keepnets. It was superb. I was like 3ft away from it.
Being a taxidermist i get to see alot of snakes that die on the chase. every now and then you get some idiot killing them. I sometimes get an Adder that has been hit with a spade and splatted. I always refuse to do them. Some people are so ignorant, just because its venomous they think its going to chase and bite them. I always say if you see another one just walk around it, dont kill it:angry01:

And some people don't care if it's venomous or not - the grass snake I referred to in my first post, I went to rescue from idiots who were throwing rocks at it. The snake was laying on a rock basking in the sun, not hurting anybody. Just because it was a snake, of any sort, it became a target. I was livid.

Yeah, I hate people like that. Hopefully David Attenboroughs new show might show people that snakes arent evil deadly creatures. It might teach them that they are facinating and deserve respect and have as much right to be on this planet as us.

Back