• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Gooey mouth?

Laine

I'm probably just worrying over nothing as usual, but my corn snake, Rosie was eating today and I noticed when she was stretching her jaw afterwards that her mouth was kind of .. Gooey looking. Like clear mucus in her mouth, like she was drooling, but it never left her mouth. Could this be from just having eaten? or something more serious like mouth rot? It looked kind of sticky, it was sticking to the roof of her mouth in strands, but it didn't appear to be hindering her at all. There's no sign of anything when her mouth is closed, no bubbles or drool or anything, and her tongue is still flickering normally.

Any input would be very much appreciated..

Laine

Maybe take her to the vet. Or try to open her mouth and look to see if it's still there. My vet told me that mucus in the mouth was one thing to look for if you're suspecting a respiratory infection.

There is a certain amount of saliva produced during eating that can be seen as clean colorless strandy substance in the mouth. Examine the mouth outside of an eating time and make sure it looks healthy. There is a thread with examples of healthy looking mouths here Healthy mouths

oops bad link! Okay..I fixed that link now to the other thread!

Her mouth looks very similar to those in the link you posted, Dawn. It looks like it's normal pink self, but with more saliva. I noticed it directly after she's just finished eating, so I wasn't sure if maybe it was just from her getting the mice down. Nothing looks blocked, and the saliva is just clear, no cloudiness or discolor. When she closes her mouth there's no sign of anything either. her breathing sounds fine and her tongue seems to pass in and out without any trouble. It just looked like clear, sticky saliva, like drool almost.

She's got a checkup coming later this week, I'll ask the vet about it then. Thanks alot for the help and the pictures =)

Update:
Alright, I've checked her mouth again later, and it's still gooey. I've also noticed her nose looks a little clogged, mayhaps with dust. I'm going to wait til morning, as she's eaten and might regurge if I move her so soon, but I'm going to switch outher substrate for newspaper and up her temps in case of a respiratory infection. Does this sound like a good idea?

Would a bath help to get rid of any dust clogging her nostils? Or would it just cause her unnecessary stress? also, I've got her temps up to 85 on her hot side, is that a good place to keep them for now until I get her in to the vet? I've read a couple of sites and looked at some pics and I'm pretty sure it's a mild RI, possibly caused by dust from the substrate in the cage. Is there anything else I can do to try and help the situation before the vet trip?

Keep her humidity normal and keep the temps at 85. Dont handle her anymore than you have to so don't do a bath or anything that might stress her out. If it is an RI then she will most likely be prescribed antibiotics that have to be given as shots every other day for ten days. Has her appetite been okay?

She's been eating like a pig, and drinking normally. The only odd things are the gooey mouth and dusty looking nostrils. I saw her blow a bubble earlier, but I've not seen once since. Last week when she ate she didn't have a gooey mouth at all, and she's been eating her normal two adult mice per week. She;s also been drinking normally, and hasn't been overly active nor listless.

She ate two adult mice fine this morning, and drank her water fine. She's just got a gooey mouth and what looks like a bit of dust in her nostrils. She's not wheezing, and her breathing looks even, no sneezes or anything. She was yawning a bit earlier and that's when I noticed her mouth was still gooey looking. I've upped her temps to 85 on the hot side and in the morning I'm changing the substrate to newspaper in case it's the dust from the repti-bark that's agitating her. I'm also going to see if I can get her in to the vet earlier then friday.

Back