• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Gopher Snake ?'s

Pandora

Hello, everyone. Sorry for all the questions. I have the chance to get a baby captive bred gopher snake. With alot of handling can these snakes be tame? Are they easy to care for? Thanks in advance.

The care requirements are pretty much the same as for corn snakes.

Whether or not the snake will be "tame" relies on a few factors. Some snakes never accept handling. Others will become used to it with patience and time. Pines, bulls, and gophers can be big time bluffers. They will put on a big show and calm right down once you pick them up.

i had a gophersnake i caught outside my house a few years ago never tried to bite me once was like 2 feet long nicest snake ever for being first time held i had to let him go after a month because didnt have money at the time to buy a bigger tank for him but it was a nice snake

Most of the gophers I've handled are pretty easy going. I've been bitten twice by wild gophers, but only because they felt threatened. One I grabbed too hard as I was getting it out of the middle of the street, and the other I was trying to pry out of the rattlesnake cage we had for our snake avoidance training. After the one bite, they both settled right down and didn't offer to bite again. I've never kept one captive though, so I don't know how well they do. I know my friend's daughter has a wild caught gopher that's doing just fine.

When I was in high school, they found a baby gopher in my science class. They were gonna kill it, so I offered up to take him home. He never tried to bite me once, and he was really easy going to handle. I kept him for about 2 years and then let him go in the desert behind my house. Sometimes it just depends on the snake. I didn't have to do anything special with my gopher...he was just naturally easy going. But I've had corns and other snakes that have been in captivity and around people their entire lives that were absolute terrors.

Back