• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

greetings from NJ

REPTILEGUYJC

Hey guys..ill be getting my first corn snake in 2 weeks from a reptile expo. I currently have a bearded dragon and a reef tank, so i know the importance of proper setup and housing. I have a zoo med 18x18x18 tank w locking front doors and a Lockable mesh screen top. if im going to place this on a wooden table, how high should i raise the tank off the table because i want to use a uth for it. I am planning on using aspen bedding for substrate. Any recommended brands for the uth? I will be monitoring the temps and humidity w a digital gauge n probe, along w a temp gun for spot temp checks. Any other advice will help. Ill also be reading through the forums over the next few days for more tips..

P.s.
I plan on getting a baby corn..not an adult

The UTHs come with little feet that stick onto the viv. That's high enough. I've had an equal number of failures (off) with ZooMed and ExoTerra Desert. You definitely need a thermostat or rheostat for the UTH or it will get too hot and burn the snake. ZooMed is easier to remove from the viv for whatever reason. ExoTerra has a papery backing that sticks a lot more permanently. Ultratherm UTHs are very nice. They aren't sticky; you'd attach them with aluminum tape from Lowes or Home Depot or wherever.

You know in NJ you can only have a morph with red or pink eyes, right?

I'd consider a slightly older snake rather than a tiny baby. They are just easier, more fun, less fragile.

When you failures with the uth...u dont mean fires do you? Which heat mat size wpuld be good for my tank? Its actually 18x18x24.. ill def get a rheostat to control it. Price doesnt matter. Safety is more important to me.

No, they just stopped heating.

You are always safest if you use a thermostat and avoid extension cords! The UTHs will have a size range by aquarium gallons. I'd think you need a small, not an extra small.

Great info!! Thanks!! Ill def buy a high quality surge protector and test it out for a few days while i am home.

P.s.
Do most corn morphs have red/pink eyes? I was looking for a bright red or oketee corn.

You can't have an Okeetee or a plain bloodred. You could have an amel, snow, avalanche, fire...It sounds like either a bright red amel or a fire would be the best for what you're allowed to keep there.

Back