• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

grouchy cause wants to hibernate?

nsmar4211

I went to a snake show to get a ball python yesterday-while I was there I talked to the breeder I got my newly nasty corn from. When I told him about it suddenly getting grouchy, he said it may be because it wants to hibernate because the temperatures have dropped. I hadn't considered that! He told me several of his get that way, he puts them in a cool spot in the garage and leaves them for a few weeks, and then brings them back in. I live in Florida so it wouldn't get freezing in the garage. Has anyone else ever encountered this? He's kindof young, but he's healthy and eats like a pig. I'm considering feeding him once more, giving him a couple of days, and then trying the brumination thing for 3 or 4 weeks. What do ya'll think?

How old is this snake? Generally, it's not recommended to brumate a young snake. If you have heat in the tank, there is absolutely no reason why your snake should have the desire to hibernate. I think your snake is just cranky. Possibly its's going to shed. If you do consider brumation, you need to wait at least 2 weeks before brumation to allow the food time to completely digest and be excreted. You don't want the chance of having them cool with some food still in the stomach. I would not brumate if I were you. I haven't brumated any of mine ever. This year will be the first for two of mine because they are going to be bred.

He was born in July so he's about 6 months old.
He just got over a shed so that wasn't it........ I tried the trick of wearing latex gloves and handling him. He sat there and chewed on my thumb for a little while, but since then hasn't been quite as snappy. Was rather amusing sitting there with a baby snake chomping on my thumb! But I guess the taste is nasty and he hasn't wanted a repeat LOL.......... long as I don't wiggle my fingers while holding him he's ok. :)

How often do you feed? He's a little young to think about cooling. I wouldn't do it.

Back