• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

guess who decided to go blue! (lots of pics)

Senusenu

I noticed a couple of days ago but had been too busy from work and too tired from working like a dog that I hadn't taken him out to check for sure. I decided to get some pics of him tonight tho!

My pretty Ankh :spinner:

20140409_231813_zpsfkde9a7l.jpg

20140409_231852_zpszrvdsxlo.jpg

20140409_231859_zpsgrlj7cw9.jpg

20140409_231908_zpskzgzydbd.jpg

20140409_231932_zpso98tvmst.jpg

20140409_231941_zpsrgzvwtde.jpg

20140409_231949_zpstd5qhusc.jpg

20140409_232021_zpslmfovbar.jpg

He is due for feeding today, but I am going to let him finish first rather than risk a refusal.

I've been so impatient to see him shed!

And he's up to 600 grams, from 561g when I got him. He still looks underweight for sure, but he's gaining steadily now. It took a few weeks before his weight went up at all, makes me wonder how long the previous owner was underfeeding him. He'd been giving Ankh fuzzies "every 2 weeks or so." I imagine it must have been quite a while to get his spine so prominant :(

He's pretty! I wish I had a snake that actually went 'blue'. With Gaia being a snow, if I do see it is barely noticeable.
I rescued Gaia, too: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132533

She was ~50" & 390 grams on 8-23-2013; which was after a week ofgood care, fluids, & a feeding, if I remember right.
She is now ~52" & 715g!
It is SOOOOOO good to feel them muscled, after feeling a prominent spine for months!

My snake Udjat is a snow as well, and I have only seen him in blue twice. I just happened to see his eyes a bit milky, but the body doesn't show it at all. I'd just find a shed in the viv without ever knowing beforehand. I have a classic and an amel as well, so I do usually get a headsup before they are ready :D

That poor snake! I love snows. Udjat was my first snake and I am still amazed every time I look at him how beautiful he is. Thankfully Ankh was not nearly as bad as your rescue, just underfed, but the tank was spotless- if bare- with a huge clean water dish. I didn't think to ask how he was heating the tank. He did say Ankh was aggressive when trying to get him out of the tank, but I just reached in and picked him up no problem. The guy was afraid of him, said he got him to try getting over his fear of snakes, but as Ankh got bigger, he handled him less. Eventually he'd just toss f/t mice into the tank and not touch him at all, so that probably conditioned him to assume any human by the tank was feeding so he'd get ready for it.

Ankh snapped at me a couple times but never got me, and rattled his tail like crazy for the first week. Now I just make sure to lift the hide before picking him up instead of reaching for the opening, and I've had no problem. He did thunk his head against the side of the tank when I walked past him once tho XD

I wonder how he kept the tank spotless, if he wouldn't touch him?
Lifting the hide is definitely the way to go, gotta work with their little snakey instincts & not stick finger in an opening like a warm little mammal!

Gaia did a feeder bite on a girl who owned hamsters;
a feeder bite on the vet when I first picked her up - a very soft, dainty one;
one defensive bite - which I deserved - I got scared when she snuck behind my headboard & yanked, scaring her in turn (not my proudest moment)
& she tried to do a feeder bite on my *ahem* 'chest apparatus' when she was still really underweight& apparently hungry, lol.

Luckily she is super sweet & mellow.

Do you still feed Ankh in his tank?
I feed Gaia in the bathtub, & she definitely knows what the bathtub is for.
Some claim feeding in a separate container can help disassociate human hands in the terrarium with food.

I prefer to feed in tubs and almost always do so, depending on how many of the four are getting fed. Two are on 5-6 days, one is 6-7, and the other- Ankh- is 7-8 days. Normally, they will be fed in a tub by themselves, but I do occasionally feed Ankh in the tank. I just try to make sure non-feeding interactions surpass feeding interactions so he doesn't anticipate food every time I get near him. It is working out well so far, and he no longer strikes. I do always suggest feeding outside the viv for the same reasons (also, potential substrate ingestion). He's pushed out all the aspen that was inside the hide though, so that isn't a danger for him.

Back