• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Guinea Pig =S

bataco

Daniel
A friend of mine has 2 guinea pigs and he wants me to have them.... they are so pretty that I can't resist, do you have experience with them?

they can be noisy, and they are pretty dumb. I know they need specialized diets, calcium supplements, fresh veggies, hay and stuff so look into that. They don't live very long, I think 3 or 5 years. They need lots of running around space, but they aren't climbers or jumpers so caging is pretty easy. All my guinea pig knowledge comes from absorbing it - I've never really been interested in them so I don't know much.

Oh, and this is a GREAT site for custom cages, I was looking at it when I was designing my rabbits cage. NIC condos rock.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/index.php

Guinea pigs are brilliant pets! They will communicate constantly, their range of calls and squeaks are either annoying if you don't like noisy pets, or utterly charming if you like a pet that will learn to call you when it wants feeding!
They need vitamin C in their diet, tomatoes and sweet peppers are a good source for them, and good guinea pig food has pellets containing it.
I've had breeding groups of guineapigs as a teenager and again while my boys were younger. They do best in pairs or groups because they are so sociable. If you're thinking of breeding them, the females have to have their first litter before they are 10 months, otherwise their pelvic bones fuse and would make breeding dangerous for them.

I really like guinea pigs and had three as a child: Fred, Barney and Pebbles. I dressed them up and pretended they were horses (the fate of all my pets at that time, from my poodle to toads) and carried them around in my bike basket. I had special brushes and shampoo and harnesses and leashes for them. I loved them.

So I was excited to get one for my daughter! Unfortunately, as an adult, I couldn't tolerate the SMELL and the cleaning and the vast amount of poo and urine produced by only one small pig, so she went to live at my daughter's classroom instead.

I love guinea pigs. Like Nanci, I grew up with them. My daughters each had one but sadly passed away. As Nanci also said, they can be smelly unless kept fastidiously cleaned. Their squeaks and calling is fun. If they didn't smell so much I'd get a couple new ones.

Back