• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hades in blue AGAIN! Any ideas as to why?

MinLynn

What blonde chick?!
So here's a couple of pics of Hades my boa in blue AGAIN! He just shed about a month ago and he's blue again. That's not normal I know but I checked him over before I took the pics(he was NOT a happy boy!) and I see no wounds,mites,scrapes nothing! Could it be he really isn't 4 years old and maybe he isn't he but a she and is still growing? Paint me confused on this one?

DSCF3205.jpg

DSCF3207.jpg

No clue, darling. My Japanese Rat snake has been doing the same thing lately. It seems like every time I turn around, he's in blue. How much are you feeding him?
As far as possibly being female goes, can you see "spurs"? They'd be located on either side of the vent.

I can see spurs but they're pretty tiny. He gets a jumbo rat every 10-14 days(except this week because of being in blue and he's so cranky I'm not even going to attempt it till he's done.) Usually every 14 days.

If they're tiny, it could be he's a she. The spurs on a male are pretty damn obvious, but on a female, not quite so much. I'd have him sexed to be sure.
Oh, and as far as the feeding goes, every 2 weeks is optimal for boa health and growth due to their slower metabolisms. It could be s/he's hit a late in life growth spurt! You never know.

Well,if that's the case,bigger enclosure here we come! LOL! It would make Matt happy since the females get larger than the males and I told him the boas are as large as we'll go until the kids are much older.

So in your opinion is he younger than 4? Or does 4 sound about right? Not that it really truly matters as long as he's healthy.

So in your opinion is he younger than 4? Or does 4 sound about right? Not that it really truly matters as long as he's healthy.

Well, my girl is about 4, and she's only 5 feet, but not anywhere near that heavy/thick yet. He could be 4 or 5 easily.
But that's just my opinion.

I had an incident with my Rainbow Boa a few months ago, which resulted in her shedding three weeks to a month apart for a little while. She received an injury on her nose from a splintered hide, and during shed the injury seemed to callus over, resulting in the injury to her face to create build up.
During shed the affected area seemed stuck, and fairly thick, so I bathed her and helped her peel it as it was close to her eye. One of the larger scales covering her nostril came off with the shed (quite willingly, no rough force), and it left that area exposed. I would add healing aid daily, and hoped for it to heal, and she went in blue again in just a few weeks.
She started gaining the thick matter on the injury again during shed, but I decided to hold off on a vet until she shed, just to not spend money on a healing injury. And once she shed again the area was still quite exposed, which I attribute to the thick matter concentrating and peeling what had healed after she shed again. So I repeated the shed aid, and she went into blue a few weeks later again.
This time the exposed scale didn't acquire the same scabbed look, and she shed perfectly on her own. The exposed area even seemed to be gaining color back, and looked great. She is still shedding more often than usual, but the duration is growing much longer apart. The missing scale is completely back to normal, as well as the rest of her being in excellent health.
Anyways a long story, but maybe it is some minor injury that is causing Hades to shed so often, as that is what happened to my Boa.

Sorry for the long post though, Hades is a great name, and beautiful snake.

Thank you! I'll stop worrying over the shed-thing then! LOL! Yes,he's pretty heavy! Well,I don't know an exact weight 'cause I don't own a scale big enough for him,but I have a hard time moving or lifting him with one hand when I need to.

Thanks Michael! We posted at the same time. I checked him over as best as I could but that's kindda hard to do with a cranky big guy and nobody else around with you. So could be some minor scrape or something that I'm just not seeing,too.

I know she's not a boa, but as far as shedding goes, my VBB seems to shed after every 2nd feeding (I feed her every 7 days - she's ALWAYS hungry)... She's grown quick, but geez! I'm gonna have to look for a nice "hutch-like" enclosure for her soon.

Back