• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Haiti

snakemom1961

Spring is here!
I know it's been a few days now. And I guess I thought a thread would have been started by now. All I am asking it for our community to pray and if possible to give to the people of Haiti. If there is no other thing you are able to do, please give them a prayer. Thanks.

I know it's been a few days now. And I guess I thought a thread would have been started by now. All I am asking it for our community to pray and if possible to give to the people of Haiti. If there is no other thing you are able to do, please give them a prayer. Thanks.
Done, thanks for the OP Nancy. Bump.

I have been following the devastation on the news and it is as bad as bad gets. I used to vacation with my parents in the Dominican Republic and we always ventured into Haiti. Before this earthquake you have no clue how poor and unstructured this island was. No real schools, starving children and adults, and still some of the most joyful people you'd ever meet. I can't really imagine how they will rebuild, but my thoughts have been with them. I am sure many of you have seen the comments from people who say we should not help, let haiti parish, and other comments about the aide the US is sending- lets hope this is never us:(

Also following it. I was apalled at work yesterday when someone made the comment that "seeing men walking around with machetes on the News" made her feel that we shouldn't send aid to them. If our Nation was in disarray and then an Earthquake destroyed what little structure we had, I bet we'd all want to carry a little security with us, too.

People made the same comments when news reports said that young men were walking around the Superdome with guns down in New Orleans. Those young men with guns were keeping their people safe....

Done, thanks for the OP Nancy. Bump.
ditto...

I am sure many of you have seen the comments from people who say we should not help, let haiti parish, and other comments about the aide the US is sending- lets hope this is never us:(
I've been following th news but haven't seem comments like that.

Also following it. I was apalled at work yesterday when someone made the comment that "seeing men walking around with machetes on the News" made her feel that we shouldn't send aid to them. If our Nation was in disarray and then an Earthquake destroyed what little structure we had, I bet we'd all want to carry a little security with us, too.
People made the same comments when news reports said that young men were walking around the Superdome with guns down in New Orleans. Those young men with guns were keeping their people safe....

A natural response when your in this type of situation...
It's not shocking to me... I think I would be "carrying" too.
I've seen it in news story in America.!!

Thanks all for Praying for the Haitians. Both my daughters are actively trying to find a local organization that is helping to send volunteers down there. They so want to go down and help.
Lets just hope that once the media coverage ends people don't let Haiti drop off the map once again.

Let us hope the people who are opposed to sending all the help are never in a similar situation with their life and world reduced to a pile of rubble. Withholding aid would be a death sentence to many. No matter how much you are against the current government this is a humanitarian crisis that should outweigh your views or place in the political spectrum.

I can't rep Jen, but exactly. People believe that the $100 million Obama is pledging is ridiculous when our country needs that money and with all the aide Haiti has been given in the past and mismanaged they deserve nothing. There is no question before this quake their government was a joke and funds were used to make officials richer and witheld from the people. However, with the UN's help and oversight I do believe funds can in the least be used more efficiently to rebuild the island and give them a new start planning for a more sustainable future as sad as it is now.

My prayers have now gone out too, I do not watch TV nor get the newspaper so I am a little behind on what happened. I knew something terrible had happened and there was a lot of suffering and death but that was all. I will keep praying for the Haitians.

Perfect, Jen, well put.
We sent something, hope it helps someone, and I hope it doesn't take long to get a system in place to get food and aid to people.

As someone that lives in Louisiana, and experienced the devastation of both hurricane Katrina, and Rita, I would like to say from the bottom of my heart, that Haiti and new Orleans really do not relate. The scale of the problem is bigger, and much deadlier, and with the hurricanes, people had time to escape, granted I do understand that some people couldn't have escaped from the hurricanes, there was just no notice with the disaster in Haiti to give them any time to get away. The major part of the people that where devastated in Orleans had the opportunity and means to leave, and I just cant stress that enough.
I mean, I've watched the news about Haiti and the whole ambiance of the people are different. they don't care about whats in the local shops, and they don't care about themselves, I've never seen people band together to help each other in such an way.
People pulling people from rubble, uncaring if the rubble falls on them in the process..People in new Orleans would go as far as to protect their families, and then if you where not part of that group, you where on your own. The only instance that I can see where people where trying to make a quick buck in Haiti was when this one man was mentioned selling sandals. I just don't like the comparison that's sprung up between these two disasters, is all.

As for the current topic of the thread, I have been praying every day since i found out, and we have a local group called "Friendships" that is currently waiting to leave for Haiti with medical supplies, water, food, and shelters, but they're short 20k gallons of Diesel fuel.

Tuesday, everyones wearing red in remberance of Haiti's earthquake, and im making t-shirts soon. lemme know if you'd like to see. :)

A

As for the current topic of the thread, I have been praying every day since i found out, and we have a local group called "Friendships" that is currently waiting to leave for Haiti with medical supplies, water, food, and shelters, but they're short 20k gallons of Diesel fuel.

Tuesday, everyones wearing red in remberance of Haiti's earthquake, and im making t-shirts soon. lemme know if you'd like to see. :)

Thank you! I'd love to see pics of the tshirts you will be wearing.

My stepbrother will be going over on the HMCS Toronto...he joined the navey about 6 months ago, this will be his first active duty.
The scale of the devistation is hard to immagine. I've started a donation pool at work, and the company I work for will match any donations made...I see the headlines everyday and it just breaks your heart. I feel selfish, because I'm despretly worried about my bro...its going to be dangerous. I'm sure he's going to be fine, and take care of himself, and for the record he is thrilled to be able to go and help people in such a direct way. This is what he joined for...but its hard not to worry. We're very close.
The people of Haiti need all the help they can get...and all the love in the world.

From what I have heard, the red cross is taking donations via text messages. It's been mentioned several times on the radio and on tv that if you type "Haiti" in a text message and send it to number "90999", a ten dollar charge will be added to your cell account. That money will go to the red cross and be directed to help the people in Haiti.

Wayne

Let us hope the people who are opposed to sending all the help are never in a similar situation with their life and world reduced to a pile of rubble. Withholding aid would be a death sentence to many. No matter how much you are against the current government this is a humanitarian crisis that should outweigh your views or place in the political spectrum.
Post Of The Day, maybe Month. And repped.

I have not seen anyone with the "withholding" point of view. How....uncivilized.

Michelle Obama was making public service announcements on cable this weekend. Very nice and First Lady-like.

Also following it. I was apalled at work yesterday when someone made the comment that "seeing men walking around with machetes on the News" made her feel that we shouldn't send aid to them.
There are lots of places where people regularly walk around with machetes. I own two--one from Costa Rica and one from Madagascar. I don't know why that would bother anyone. I wouldn't think a thing about it. Maybe those guys don't always walk around with machetes, but I would be surprised if they do.

My kids' grade school (K-4) raised over $500 from a student-only donation in one afternoon. They've become very interested in this tragedy and ask me about it every day. My oldest wants to send his toys so the children won't be so sad. Ditto what has been said about their government prior, I proud of what our country is doing...not just obama, but organizations all over the US.

My kids' grade school (K-4) raised over $500 from a student-only donation in one afternoon. They've become very interested in this tragedy and ask me about it every day. My oldest wants to send his toys so the children won't be so sad. Ditto what has been said about their government prior, I proud of what our country is doing...not just obama, but organizations all over the US.

Please thank your kids and their school for all of us Lori. I can't even express how I feel about how when I hear stories like yours and your kids schools, which I know is happening around the country. Thanks for bringing this back to the front page for others to see and hopefully will help us all not forget!

Thank YOU for posting it in the first place, and directing me to it...In all the hub-bub, I missed it originally. :cheers:

Back