• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

handle after shed?

Seawin

hi i was wondering if it was bad to handle your snake after a shed? like right after u see em shed?

they are very...

vulnerable and weakened after they shed and need time hide out and feel safe and sound. if held your snake may become very stressed and that's not good, it might also be a little more cranky and could bite you. mine is getting ready to shed and he is nippier than ever.

i'm not really...

sure how long it is recommended that you wait before handling them after a shed...i guess in the past i have waited about a week or so. i saw a show on animal planet...i think it was jeff corwin and he came across a snake that was shedding and he was saying that this snake was endangered and more likely to be food for a larger animal now because the shed process took a lot out of it...and ofcourse during a shed they are potentially in harm's way. ummm...your snake will probably go straight to its hide following the shedding...mine always does. i guess when you see him out again it might be alright to handle him again :)

I don't know what the general rule is here either, but it's most definitely different in the wild as it is in captivity. In the wild, the natural instinct is to hide, of course... there's a lot of danger out there. But if your snake is tame and knows you're not going to hurt him, it might be fine with being handled right after a shed... or for that matter, during the blue phase. Remember this is the most vulnerable phase as they lack vision and are MUCH more prone to tag you.

I'd say just go by the body language. If handled correctly, your snake will soon learn that you're nothing to fear. Just be careful, as the entire shedding process isn't the most comfortable of times for your baby, so stress levels should be kept to a minimum. :)

I've noticed that mine are more sensitive right after shed. I think the new skin is soft and a bit more sensitive until it's been exposed to the air and such. I only hold them to make sure they have shed fully (no tail tip left on) and then put them back. Usually after a day, they seem to be back to normal.

Back