• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Handling After feeding

atown16

So ive been searching for information on handling after feeding and i cant come up with the answer to this question.

Typically most people feed their snake in a bare separate tank, but after it feeds, can i handle it just enough to get it into its own tank? Everywhere it explicitly says not to handle after feeding, thats why im confused about this.

Actually we have discussed this before but I guess not through subject headings where it's easier to find.

It goes either way, some people here then take the container back and let the snake crawl out itself.

Or others like myself just carry the snake back, it's only a few feet and my snakes don't have a history of being sensitive to that kind of thing.

Sorry if it has been discussed, i did a quick search, and checked the FAQ's and i just couldnt find it. Thanks for the info though.

You'll get a feel for how your snake reacts to being held after eating. Some of mine get bent out of shape so I just carefully pour them from the smaller feeding bin into their 'home' bin. One almost exclusively eats in my hand, so I just lay my hand back in her bin and she crawls off in her own good time. Butter eats in a bin the same size has his home, so I lift him out, offer him a drink of warm water, then place him back.

Your little one will let you know what it prefers.

I feed my snake in its cage. Also, It is not good to hold a snake after it has been fed because this my cause the snake to barf up the rat(and/or mouse).

Carefully transfer it back, just don't grab the snake at the lump.

I usually try to let them move out of their feeding bin on their own.

I feed my snake in its cage. Also, It is not good to hold a snake after it has been fed because this my cause the snake to barf up the rat(and/or mouse).
Don't confuse holding to transfer them back to their cage with an all out handling session. As long as the snake isn't totally wigged out by being picked up after feeding, there's little risk that a gentle lift and move will cause a regurge.

The warning about handling after feeding is for the people who don't realize the danger of a regurge and then we read the "well, he ate this morning so I thought it was okay to bring him out tonight for a half hour of play time, but he puked..." messages.

Depending on your substrate you could do more harm feeding the snake in the viv then a feeding tub.

Back