• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Handling- how often? for how long?

How often do you handle your corn (excluding 48hrs after feeding)?

• Total voters

D'n'D

New mom to bloodred Elsa
How often should we handle our 5-month old Elsa?

She is not aggressive and she calms easily when handled by me or by my daughter. She sometimes rests curled on my arm around my fitbit for minutes without trying to flee. Except for the golden rule to not handle 48h after feeding, is it OK to handle her daily? I don't want to stress her out, but on the other hand I want to get her more and more comfortable with being held as she grows.

I noticed that she is less agitated immediately after I pick her up. I take this a sign of her getting used to me picking her up. Some sites say handle 3-4 times a week. Makes sense with her feeding schedule every 5-6 days and 2 days break.

What about the length of handling? When we let her slide back in her viv, she usually goes into her hide, but I guess this is pretty normal behavior.

What about holding her twice daily? Please any input is welcome

I don't think there's a right answer. If you have the time and you and the snake are happy, play as much as you want. You're going to end up with a very socialized snake. Corns don't mind if you don't have time for more than basic care, either. That's what's nice about them as a pet! Also I don't know if you already know but when she's going to shed she will probably not want to be touched. It makes them jumpy.

I would say just listen to your snake because that's what I do. Mine is usually very calm - full of energy, sniffing and exploring and roaming around my arms, but calm nonetheless. On the rare occasions here she's agitated and doesn't calm down after a few minutes I put her back.

Some of mine love to be held, some don't care, and I have one who cannot WAIT to be back in her viv after weighing her. It's all about reading their body language and if they are comfortable being handled. I hold babies longer and this helps them calm down in the first months but some will never be over the moon when you hold them. Let THEM tell you how long is long enough!

Back