• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Handling in Shed

How do you treat your snakes when they're in shed?

• Normal feeding and handling

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal feeding, minimal handling

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Normal feeding, no handling

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Don't feed, handle normally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't feed, minimal handling

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Don't feed, don't handle

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Elaphe_Mo

I have been seeing some different posts about this lately and was just wondering how people deal with handling and feeding their snakes when they are in shed. Personally I don't treat them any differently, will handle and feed them normally unless I know they are prone to refusing food when they're "blue". Is there any real basis for not handling them at this time other than the fact that they're more likely to be tempermental?

I'm with you on this, Mo. I only withold feeding from those I know will refuse it. In fact, I will even sometimes go a little further to entice a shedding corn to eat (ie: Squeeze a little blood out of the mouse's nose) if they are not immediately excited.

I have never seen ANY harmful effects from them eating during shed, and I have too many snakes to have several that want to be picky about WHEN they're going to eat! :D

Yes, some are more prone to bite when in shed, because they cannot see as well. However, it has been my experience that those are the same snakes that will bite you more regularly when they're not shedding too! :cool:

Re:

Most of my snakes will eat while completely opaque, I'm guessing this is a trust issue. They also are realtively calm at this stage and don't rattle their tails in the least.

I keep the handling at a minimal, mostly cause I equate their shedding to like wearing a tight fitting sock and don't want to make them uncomfortable. =P So the only handling they get is when I happen to clean their cage or take them out for feeding in the separate container.

The only problem one I have is of course, my Charcoal Ghost. He refuses meals, and is also 10x snappier than usual. =P

I also try to keep them on a normal schedule when they are in shed- most will eat and handle normally- i have one that usually eats in shed- which is sometimes annoying if i thaw out a mouse for him then he refuses it!!

I have not had any problems so far with normal handling and feeding during shed. I have 2 that weren't eating when they were opaque, but lately even they have started eating. The other ones are just pigs, and eat anytime. (everyday if I fed them)As far as handling, if they seem frightened, I will put them back in their house. and let them relax. But usually there is no problem.
Just my 02 cents.:)

Normal feeding less handling.

I'll only not feed my snakes when they are completely milky and will then feed them the next day.

Handling however I am carefull with and wont let anybody else touch my snakes less they get stressed. I have seen a Burmese Python start wiggling too much and broke up his shed just from trying to get out of the hands of the person holding it.

handling

I thought about posting a very similar poll. My normal has recently switched from 2 fuzzies a week to 1 small mouse a week. The growth spurt was amazing after his first 2 smalls. Anyway I kept handling to a minimum this time and his blue phase to shed time lasted about 9 days. It used to last at least 12 days when he was being handled regular. I think its hands off from now on.

normal feeding minimal handling

I feed all mine as normal even when they are about to shed, but do try to keep handling to a minimum. Simply because I learnt somewhere (and this could be totally wrong) that if you handle too often during the shedding process, it could cause a 'bad' shed. Anyone else hear that one?? As I say, this could be a 'wives tale' but just incase....

Also, Sid won't let you anywhere near him during shedding time so I juts leave em to it!

These results are interesting. I'm glad I'm not the only one who treats them normally or fairly normally while they are in shed. I think I'm going to keep treating them normally unless someone has a legit. reason not to.

Thanks everybody!

Back