• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Handling new adult corn questions

vane505

Hey everyone, I've received my first adult corn snake about two weeks ago. I have some questions regarding how often to handle and if I'm stressing my snake out to much (I thought about posting in my previous thread where I asked about picking up the snake so it wouldn't bite, but as this is a different issue I thought it would be better to do a new thread).

I let the snake be for the first week, and started pick him up and keeping him out about 10-15 minutes a day, and the last few times I had him out for about 30 minutes.

*When he is out of the viv he doesn't seem scared or very stressed, although he does look for a way to climb down to the floor. Should I keep him out for even longer so that he stops trying to get to the floor and settles down (or maybe that's just how he is?)?

*Also, I've noticed that he tries to find ways out of the viv when the light goes out, and usually goes on searching for an exit for several hours. Is that a sign that he doesn't like it in there or is that common behavior for a somewhat new snake?

*Finally, while he was new to the viv he rested in more "comfortable" places like a plateau I had close to the spots in the roof. Now though, he usually rests in much less comfortable/narrow places that provide better hiding and accessibility to him (I do have hiding spots for him, for example plastic "caves" which you can buy in the pet store. I have picked him up when he was hiding in one of those though, maybe that was a mistake?). Is that a sign that I pick him up to much? Should I not pick him up when he uses the hiding spots?

Again, appreciate all the help I can get :)

I would at if he is comfortable then you can keep him out longer. Corn snakes are usually pretty active when they are out of their houses so I wouldn't worry about it.

Snakes are escape artists so if there is a way it they will find it. Looking for a way out is common. :)

Snakes like tight hiding spots. It tends to make them feel safer. I also wouldn't worry about getting him out when he's hiding. otherwise you would never be able to get him out. Just get him out when you want and he should go along with it just fine.

Back