• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Handling question

jniels84

So im new to corn snakes and ive read that you are suppost to handle your corn snake everyday, but ive also read that you are not suppost to pick up their hide when they are in there because it stresses them out. These two things kinda contradict eachother if your snake likes to hide like mine does. Is it okay to remove the snake from its hide to handle it?

It won't hurt a thing to lift the hide and remove your snake. I don't know why you should handle your snakes daily, though. They do get accustomed to handling, but in my experience, they are either laid back or not. Handling can make a difference, but most corns are perfectly docile if you only handle them to clean cages -once they get some size to them. There are those that aren't, and handling only seems to help so much with those. Only my Okeetees from wild caught lineage are regularly grumpy (as corns go). Outside of those, roughly 1% seem to just wake up on the wrong side of the hide every day. The rest are very hesitant to bite.

As Chip says, lifting the hide is fine. Just do it as gently as you can.

However there's no requirement or need to handle them daily. Mine get handled for less than a minute, once every couple of weeks! Some are fine with being handled, others less so. Ultimately it seems to be an individual preference rather than something over which you have much say! It pays to get them used to being handled though. Once they realise that you're not actually trying to eat them, they relax about things a little more.

You shouldn't handle them for 48 hours after they've eaten as this risks them regurging. They also aren't keen on being handled when they're coming up to a shed. It affects their eyesight and in the wild they'd be more vulnerable to predators. They're best left in peace as far as you can.

Back