• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Handling

Bubblegum

Hi I'm totally new to snakes and was wondering how was the best way to pick up and handle the corn? Obviously i've given him chance to settle in and he has been fed, so my first chance to pick him up is now here. When i put my hand in the tank he shy's away, and goes in any other direction possible, but what is the best way to lift him...just make a grab for him , or what?

Hey

Welcome to the Site.

Pick the snake up from the side and if its a small snake, u can use 1 hand to pick it up in the middle of the snakes body. If its a larger snake 3ft+ put 1 hand 1/3 of the way from the head and 1/3 away from the tail

Cheers

Alex

Greetings Bubblegum,

Congratulations on your new snake. That behavior is perfectly normal for hatchlings and will fade with frequent handling. Another thing that helps is to move in and pick your snake up with confidence. Corns, like many other animals, can sense if you are fearful or uncomfortable and it seems to makes them unfomfortable too.

Thank you both for the good advice..i'll try it the way you have both said..just gotta get him out of his log hide now lol

Cheers Bubblegum

Hi there Bubblegum

Just thought I'd add our experience to the replies. Our snake is now two and a bit and approx 1m long. After trying all advice given, we finally came to the conclusion that she is very territorial - if she's out of either of her hides, she's seems to be telling us that we may look, but we may not touch. When she's in her 'portable' hide box (fashioned out of a cereal bar box), we simply remove the whole box with her inside it, open the lid and take her out - very easy for us to do which means we don't get stressy, she doesn't get stressy and all is fab! She's just one of those snakes that just doesn't like big mammal hands in her tank, but is as sweet as pie when in 'my' territory! Hope it's all going well!

Theresa

Back