• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hatchling Rack

snakehobbyist

I'm going to be breeding one or two of my corn snakes next spring and I've already begun to make preparations. I want to purchase a rack system for housing the babies, but I've noticed that a lot of the rack systems have tiny gaps where a baby can squeeze through. Does anyone know of escape-proof hatchling racks? Or do you just use locking lids on a loose-fitting DIY rack? I'm not very handy with tools so I'm trying to prevent having to build my own rack.

Personally ~I go with a lidded tub system for peace of mind. Hatchlings can move so fast, like those joke 'can-o-snakes', that I couldn't imaging trying to deal with them in a lidless system. I also take out all the babies I'm feeding, set them out on the table, check them over while their mice are thawing, put back any obviously in blue, gloat over how lovely they are.....without lids I think the whole thing would be more stressfull, personally.

Did you just build your own rack? Got a picture?

I've always like XPVC racks but most of those are premade for a lidless system. I suppose I could always take a shelving unit and make a hatchling rack like that. I have one I used for my adults and it works moderately well. It's just snug. But that one was made to be lidless. I suppose I can always just make sure it's cut to be bigger to accommodate for the lids.

I use Reptile Basics Iris shoebox hatchling racks. They come assembled, with heat and tubs. He ships FAST- sometimes the same day!

They are NOT escape proof for cornsnake hatchlings. You can take that "rubber" shelf liner and use aluminum tape to secure it in the back, and then wrap aluminum tape over the front shelf- (which keeps the tape from being peeled up). I've been doing most of my hatchling racks this way for two years and I am VERY happy with it. The bins are tight.

Before I did that, I'd put cardboard under the bins. It's kind of fiddley to find the exact thickness of cardboard that works (pizza boxes are perfect!) and you have to make sure it goes under the four little "feet" that the Iris bins have but- once you have it set up, it's perfectly workable.

I think I have photos here somewhere, otherwise I'll take some tonight.

Here is one of my hatchling racks. Since then, I have added a piece of aluminum tape that wraps over the front shelf. I'll take photos when I get home.

The second rack- the yearling rack- I HATE that rack! The back is open so the small bins will spin around, and if I use a 32 quart, the edge of the bin is right at the edge of the shelf- no overlap. I don't even use it. I guess I could in case of emergency, or for isolation. It makes a good nightstand...(Actually, that's where I store my 80 water bowls before I set up the racks for the new season!)

Back