• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hatchling temp control in plastic shoebox?

roadtowhere

Soon to be welcoming our first corn snake. We have a 29 gallon aquarium waiting for him, but wondering if the hatchling would be just fine in Sterilite plasitic shoebox for a while upon arrival. How best, if possible, to properly heat and maintain temperatures in plastic shoe tub. I assume my small UTH can't be used safely. We have summer travel (9 to 10 days) coming up and baby corn could be brought along if housed in small plastic tub, thereby cared and fresh water. Maybe just a bad idea.

The UTH will be fine with the shoebox as long as it's used with a thermostat That will ensure that it never gets too hot (a Corn's ideal max temp is below human core body temp, so it will never melt plastic).

I wouldn't travel with a Corn - hatchling or adult. You risk stressing it badly.

Thanks Bitsy. I wondered, which was worse, leaving the little guy home without water changes, meals, and temperature monitoring or stress of bringing along in camp trailer. Sounds like stress is worse. Maybe use the 29 gallon with multiple hide and maybe multiple water dishes. Still wouldn't trust leaving with therm controlled UTH especially on plastic.

Must admit I wouldn't want to leave a hatchling without a water change for 10 days either. Going without food for that length of time shouldn't be an issue as long as it eats reliably up to that point.

Thermostats/dimmers are the only way of ensuring that a UTH doesn't get hot enough to kill them (or melt plastic). Of the two, thermostats give the kind of control that needs least intervention. I've used that setup for plastic hatchling tubs over 15+ years and have never had an issue.

Ten days is a bit long to leave a hatchling, and I also agree with those who think taking it is a bad idea as well...

I would recommend checking to see if there is either a reputable herp specialty store or a herp society that is local to you. Those will be your best bets for finding a reliable "snakesitter".

You may find one or both willing to do it for free or a very minimal charge. Stores want your future business, and clubs are full of great people who enjoy helping fellow herpers. You may even want to join, which is a great way to learn and meet local breeders and those who share your interest in reptiles....

Well, based on some of these comments, I may be cutting down the trip to leaving Sunday and back Sunday. We have a pet sitter coming over to water my kids' critters, so, hopefully I can talk her into changing the hatchling's water and getting the lid back on securely. Maybe this would be best. I expect my corn on Thursday and thermostat seems to be working properly with the larger UTH on the 29 gallon tank. I've set the plastic shoebox in the larger tank so a 1/4 of it sits above the 29's UTH. Have not decided yet if I want to go with hatchling in shoebox or just go with the 29 and several hides.

Thanks for the recommendations/help so far.

Back