• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

hatchling viv

lolli

Lauryn
Hi, been doing a lot more research and have definately decided on getting my first corn in the very near future. I've got a glass viv which i can make up as his home. I have two questions:-

1. Is 30cm x 45cm an acceptable size for a hatchling and how long could it stay in there?

2. The tank is also 30cm tall, would the hatchling use branches etc to climb if i was to add them?

Any opinions greatly appreciated :)

That tank sounds fine as long as you have got a proper escape proof lid. You will also have to find out the correct way to heat it. I believe with a heat mat it needs to sit either on top of or under a ceramic tile but i have no experience using glass tanks.

An energetic hatchling will more than likely use branches. These can be collected from the wild just stay away from pine and ceder. Hard woods are best. I Give them 30mins in bleach a good rinse in boilind water then cook then for a further hour( temps aren't that important just try to get it over 150C)

I personally would recommend staying away from vertical climbing accessories with a hatchling. The easier you make it for them to reach the top of the enclosure, the more likely they are to get out. It is rather like giving a prison inmate a jackhammer and the plans to the prison. ;)

thanks for the replies, think i've got a fair idea of how i plan on tackling the heating.
never even thought about the branches acting as an escape route! :bang:

Back