• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hatchling Won`t Shed

WAS1

17 of my 18 eggs hatched 5 weeks ago.
All but 1 shed, it went into blue eye as normal, but just never shed.
All its skin is now crinkly, but won`t come off.
Anyone else had a similar problem? and is there anything I can do to help it?

have you tried the normal things with helping with sheds? putting it in a small tub with some water and letting it 'take a bath'? getting a moist towel with room temp water and having it work its way through? these could help, just dont try and force it off.

Ive tried all these things, its as if it dosen`t want to shed.
I had this once before with a hatchling rat snake, sadly it died.
I`m just wondering if it has other underlying problems.
It can`t be a humidity thing, otherwise the others would be affected.
Maybe it wasn`t meant to survive. I don`t know.

i dont know what to tell you. maybe he's jsut a late bloomer? it sounds like you've done everything you need to do, and now its time to let nature do its part.

I had this happen with one of my hatchlings this year, it was as if it just couldn't start the shed and was getting all crinkly. I put wet paper towels in it's tub as substrate overnight and by the next morning it had shed, it also went on to have a perfect second shed a few weeks later.

Not sure if you've tried leaving it overnight, but it might be worth a try :)

Hope that helps,

when my boyfriend and i first got our corn it went into shed right away, probably a week after we had it. he only shed his head and maybe an inch of his neck. we didn't really know what to do then, so it probably went a few days with the skin on. thankfully to this site i am now better educated and i know what to do. we tried the damp washcloth thing and the paper towel thing and we were able to get part of the tail and the tip, but nothing else. we ended up buying zoo med shed aid from petco. i've never seen anyone mention it on this site before and i've actually done a search for it and come up with nothing, so i don't know if i'm giving you good advice or bad advice. but it worked for us. we followed the instructions which said to spray it on the snake and rub it into its skin a bit. our snake actually seemed to like it. then the next day he completely shed the remaining areas of skin. i don't know if anyone else has ever used it, but i would say give it a try if nothing else works. good luck! :)

Back