• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hatchling Won't Eat

Enlightened

It's been a week and 2 days and she won't eat. She used to snap at me and bite me but she stopped, but if someone else sticks their hand in the tank she coils and gets ready to attack. When I put the pinky in she looks at it and just goes the opposite direction. I tried exposing brains but it didn't work. Shes 4 months and shes 10 inches long. Anyone have any ideas?

Several ideas

1. Place pinky in a deli cup or on a lid and leave over night
2. Scent it with a lizard by rubbing the pinky on the lizard (there is also lizard scent in bottle for somewhere a friend of mine has some)
3. Scent with tuna water
4. Scent with Chicken Broth
5. Wash the pinky with Ivory Bar Soap and rinse very well before feeding
6. Place the snake and pink in a brown paper bag, then fold the bag a few times and place in a secure location so it doesn't escape and leave for a few hours or overnight.

There is probably more, but these are a good starting point.
Good Luck!!!

Have you been trying to feed your corn alot recently??
This could be stressing out the snake, and causing them to associate feeding with stress...

Well, I'm a total corn noob, but when we fed Cornwallis what worked for us was placing him in a paper bag in his cage, in a darkened room....he really hates the lights, and I don't think he liked us watching him. Might want to give him a week or so to chill out before trying again.

Well, I'm a total corn noob, but when we fed Cornwallis what worked for us was placing him in a paper bag in his cage, in a darkened room....he really hates the lights, and I don't think he liked us watching him. Might want to give him a week or so to chill out before trying again.

6. Place the snake and pink in a brown paper bag, then fold the bag a few times and place in a secure location so it doesn't escape and leave for a few hours or overnight.

From my post above.....It is strange, but I have had a lot of successful tries with the brown paper bag trick.

Thanks all for the responses. I cut the pinkie in half and she ate one half. I think shes aneorexic. A 4 month old not eating for 10 days just seems a bit crazy to me but atleast she ate now.

How often do you feed your snake?It is nothing unusual for a snake if now and then not eat a meal (for example when they have to shed).

Your snake sounds stressed out. I would not handle it or bother it until it is on a regular feeding schedule (has eaten consistently 5 or 6 times).

I'd also make sure that the snake has some areas to hide in. A new snake in a new environment feels insecure.

You did not mention what size enclosure the snake is in. I'd found that reluctant feeders often feed more readily when placed in a small cage (if your snake is 10 inches long, then a plastic shoebox would work well).

ghostvanish.jpg

You hit the nail on the head. So I should just leave her alone. I take her out a lot but only typically when I see her trying to climb out of the cage. The tank is pretty small, Im not sure how many gallons. I used to have gekos in it. I could say that if she stretched out she'd be as long as the small side of the rectangle but just a bit to short of long side.

Its not unusual for a newly acquired corn to refuse to eat when it reaches its new home. Try feeding once a week, on its regular schedule, and use the brown bag method. They like the dark and feel more secure that way. If it doesn't eat after a couple of weeks, it may not like the smell of the pinkie. Try washing the pinkie with Windex (rinse well and dry). Windex always seems to work. Don't try feeding too often, refusing could become a learned behavior - just be patient for a few weeks.

Back