• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hateling Phase

Toboman

Novice Herptologist
On average, when does the "Hateling" phase end? My little one goes from calm to "bat outta hell" in 3.8 seconds. He even tried to jump out of a (closed) window tonight! While funny, it also has me worried about him calming down.

BTW, this is my first snake and he'll be 2 months tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, how often do you attempt to handle him? My adult female corn, Calypso started out as a fiesty little hateling - but now she's as tame as can be...I think she actually likes being out of her cage (she sometimes will try and hang on to me when I go to put her back...kinda like saying "nooo I don't want to go back in mom!!"

To be honest though, I have no idea when she started acting calmer...

I handle him at least once a day, except for 48 hours after feeding and minimal handling during shed. I'm trying to get him used to me but he's bipolar, calm one minute the rocket-fire-explosion-flying-snake! I know they eventually calm down a lot, but I was wondering at what age of the snake did other people notice the downshift in excitability?

Mine are a bit older than yours and I've noticed that calm handling sessions are slowly starting to outweigh panicked ones. I couldn't believe when I got these little guys how a creature with no limbs can FLING itself around in the direction of away from me. Pretty funny!

I got mine at about 2 months old, and one of them was like that. I literally felt bad for trying to hold her. My handling schedule is the same as yours, for about 5 minutes a day. Now, only 2 months later, she's pretty calm once I have her out. She still tries to flee while I'm picking her up if she's already awake. But if I catch her still sleepy, she's just chill. Either way, once she's out, she's way more relaxed now.

I have only had my girl for 3 mos. and was a real hateling for the first month. She was 10 mos. old when i got her and was only handeld for feeding and cleaning by the breeder. She is still a little hateling, but not as bad she also tries to jump out of her feeding bin and it has 18 inch sides. She has almost made it a couple of times. Yes, she still tries to bite and sometimes she does connect, but i have hope for her. i always loved an animal with a little attitude.

Back