• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Have some Questions on getting started

The Newguy

Working on convincing my parents to let me have a corn snake. I have done a ton of research but still have some things I couldnt find. I would appreciate it if someone could answer a couple of questions.

About how much is the start up cost getting everything that my new friend will need?

Do snakes really need a heating lap if u have a heating pad underneath?

How often do I need to clean its cage?
I appreciate the help. Post more Questions as they come up

Working on convincing my parents to let me have a corn snake. I have done a ton of research but still have some things I couldnt find. I would appreciate it if someone could answer a couple of questions.

About how much is the start up cost getting everything that my new friend will need?

Do snakes really need a heating lap if u have a heating pad underneath?

How often do I need to clean its cage?
I appreciate the help. Post more Questions as they come up

If you're going to start with a 10 gallon (eventually you'll want at least a 20 gallon long)...

10 gallon tank = about 10 bucks

Screen cover and clamps = Just guessing here...maybe around 15 bucks all together?

UTH heating pad = 10-30 bucks (just guessing here, I don't know exactly)

Heating control = With a UTH heating pad you're going to need something to control it. This can be something as expensive (but very high quality and recommended) as a digital herpstat thermostat http://spyderrobotics.com/ Or you can get a light dimmer switch from home depot/lowes whatever for around 10 bucks. The dimmer switch will reduce the power going to the UTH, effectively reducing the temperature of the UTH. The UTH should also be watched by a digital thermometer with a probe. These are also around 10 bucks give or take. Use the search feature on the site to look up light dimmer switches if you are interested in that.

Couple of hides = if you want to go really cheap...I use homemade hides. Plastic cool whip or sour cream type containers cut up. I cut sour cream containers in half lengthwise so they are almost like half logs that have a back. Also throw in a toilet paper tube, snakes seem to love those. If you want to buy from a store you're looking at about 3-10 bucks each depending on the type

Some vines from wal mart or craft store = whatever you're willing to pay

Water dish = Not expensive

Bedding material (aspen, probably) = If you want to find cheap aspen, go to a farm supply store, you can probably find a good size for not a lot of money. In pet stores, rodent aspen is usually cheaping than the "snake aspen". Just be sure it is 100% aspen.

What did I forget? Snake = whatever you're willing to pay

Food = depends on where you get it

As far as a heating lamp, I'd just avoid it, and use just the UTH heating pad. Lamps tend to dry out the air, and cornsnakes don't bask, so lamps are not needed.

Thanks for the help I'll probably have to wait to get the expensive stuff till later in the summer after i find a job.

If you're going to start with a 10 gallon (eventually you'll want at least a 20 gallon long)...

Should i start with a 10 or could i start with a twenty?

Start with the 10 gal, a 20 long is just to big for a baby. Sounds silly I know, but they get lost in a big one.

Actually, I'd say start with the 20 gallon long. You'll save money, since you won't need to buy two different tanks. If you get that, though, you'll need plenty of hides (which can be as simple as toilet rolls or empty containers, and something to hide the snake (can, once again, be something as simple as paper towel, or as complicated as greenery). When you start off with the snake, it's a good idea to have paper towel as the substrate, so you can see if they're healthy and all that. Also a really easy way to see if the snake has mites, since they show up so easily.
Last of all, tank cleanings aren't very hard at all. With paper towel, it's a simple replace the bedding whenever he/she goes to the bathroom. With aspen, spot clean (pick up the waste as you see it) and give it a thorough cleaning once every month or two.

Hope I helped a bit.

Oh, but if you get a very young baby, then yes, a ten gallon is better. Sorry, I started off with an older one x3 A twenty gallon makes it harder to regulate body temp and harder to find the water bowl.

Should i start with a 10 or could i start with a twenty?

If I had it to do over again, I would have started with a 10 gallon, and just a UTH. I bought a fancy schmancy 20 gallon with integrated locking lid for like $70. I could have gotten a 10 gallon with normal lid for less than $30.

A 20 gallon is large, but none of my corns really got lost in one. If you put enough hides in there, and some fake plants, it can become a very usable space for your snake. Don't make it a vast open wasteland with a water bowl on one end and a hide on the other.

With all of this in mind, a 10 gallon initially followed by a 30 gallon in 1-2 years when the snake is almost an adult would have been more ideal for me. I'll likely get a 30 gallon for my corn in a couple of years...and then I'll have room in my 20 for something else.

So long term, it doesn't really matter what you do. You can always put cages to use in some other manner.

Tip, when I was in tanks I found all of my tanks on craigslist. I really liked the ones with the sliding locking screen lid but those were just overpriced at the pet stores. I found plenty of them on craigslist. Give em a good, really good, cleaning and good to go

Tip, when I was in tanks I found all of my tanks on craigslist. I really liked the ones with the sliding locking screen lid but those were just overpriced at the pet stores. I found plenty of them on craigslist. Give em a good, really good, cleaning and good to go

I havent seen a lid like that yet but it sounds like a good idea

I havent seen a lid like that yet but it sounds like a good idea

Zilla calls it the critter cage. I am sure some 3rd Party makes them for Zilla...as I have seen other brands with identical cages to these...

http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/critter-cages.htm

If you click on the 20 gallon hi-res image link, and when the pic loads, you can see how the screen top slides into place. A normal screen would just lower on top of the cage, and then require clips or a heavy object to weigh it down. This screen slides on grooves, so the screen cannot simply push upward. It must be slid forward. The rear of the cage has two plastic clips that lock the screen in place, and you can even add a locking mechanism (paper clip would do) onto the front of the screen to prevent it from sliding forward.

I have this terrarium myself, and paid $70 for it. It's nice, and worth the money IMHO...but if I had it to do over, I may have gone with a cheap 10 gallon tank with normal lid for now. This would of course require an upgrade sooner than later. With the 20 gallon, I don't have to upgrade. An adult corn will fit in a 20gallon long just fine (though it would be happier in a 30-40 gallon enclosure.)

So I have the option to upgrade later if I want...whereas if I had a 10 gallon, it would be a mandatory upgrade after 1-2 years.

I did see the 40 gallon Critter Cage on sale at Petco or PetSmart for $89 or so...normally over $119 I think. This was after I bought mine already. Look for a sale on a 20 gallon Critter Cage, or get a much cheaper solution by getting a 10 gal and a lid.

don't worry so much you know your uncle will help you. just work on convincing dad and we will help you. we are always on the look out for tanks and pick them up when we find them. as for food you know where you will get that. we will help you every step of the way. it will be fine.:grin01:

Back