• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Have you ever worked in the pet industry?

paint_baller_dude1

Amtliches Arschloch
Just curious if anybody works at or worked at or owned a pet store, or in any other similar line of work (like breeding or supplying, etc.)

I currently work at Pets Stop in Westlake Village (in SoCal).

Never have because apparently no one wanted to hire to work for thier petstore.. Don't know why..

Regards..

Interesting to see this topic here tonight. I'm not sure I want to admit it in a place like this, but with everyone's job going down the tubes at the zoo, we're all looking for second jobs. I just got hired at PetSmart tonight with a focus on the reptiles. They don't sell many kinds there, but I'm curious to see what it's like.

I applied to PetSmart 5 or 6 times, applied at PetCo once and visited the manager there five or six times concerning the application.. Nothing.. Applied to at a LPS to clean cages, no go.. I just bang my head and can't figure it out.. Corns are not the only thing I do, I also do African Cichlids ( although lately the fish have taken a back seat to the corns ) and am fairly knowledgable about aquatics.. I was thinking I might be a handy fellow to have around for the knowledge base there and other things I have done for expieriance.. Who knows, I gave up trying to figure out how companies and bussiness hire people.. * slaps forehead *

Regards

yeah this could actually end up being a decent store. They just had a bunch of people quit apparently, and then this stuff happened with the zoo, so a lot of us from the zoo actually got hired there in different areas. Maybe somebody at a pet store will finally have experience with the animals they're giving advice on! :laugh:

Hey, good luck and hopefully things can work out for you. I would think of PetSmart as more of a stepping stone as a opposed to a career.. Any ways, congrat's because it is better than just sitting on your duff!

Regards..

I opened a PetSmart in York, PA in 2004. Stayed with them for a little over a year before I graduated college and embarked on my career. It was ok for the first 8-10 months, but then management stopped caring about animal care and we had a lot of issues with husbandry practices and high school employees selling animals without providing the customer(s) with proper knowledge (or blantly ignoring company policy). I did my best to do what I could, but me refusing to sell a reptile because the customer(s) refused to purchase the proper equipment caused me to get scolded one too many times and I stopped fighting the issue.

I dislike chain store management, but I do miss the good times. I enjoyed sharing my knowledge with enthusiastic customers. Also liked chatting with regular customers who I'd see once or twice a week.

I would love to open an exotic speciality store in my area. I am determined to follow through and one day actually go for it.

TandJ said:
I would think of PetSmart as more of a stepping stone as a opposed to a career...

I'm getting certified to teach high school bio...I'll be done at PetSmart by May

I worked at pet supermarket in florida. Hated it. (they dont selll many animals, just supplies.) The management was reduculous...

Hey Jeff thats great. I guess your are going to be one of the Bio Teachers with on going, live projects in the class room? That was alwyas the high light of having a cool science teacher, the live critters!

Regards...

TandJ said:
Hey Jeff thats great. I guess your are going to be one of the Bio Teachers with on going, live projects in the class room? That was alwyas the high light of having a cool science teacher, the live critters!

Regards...

haha, yeah I know what you mean. When I was in high school, we never had anything like that in our bio classes so they were kinda boring. Even in college, they never focused on animals much...everything was pushing towards the medical field. I even took an animal physiology course my senior year, and somehow the prof managed to turn that into something boring as well. I always said that if I hadn't gotten into wildlife rehabilitation on my own outside of school, that I would never have majored in bio because the stuff we were taught was completely uninteresting to me.

This is a bit O/T from the thread, but it always amazes me how misunderstood people are about the wildlife that's in their back yard. Just last week I was walking across the bridge at work and there were a bunch of people making a big deal about the beaver that was in the creek below. I was surprised to hear that, so I went over and looked. It was a groundhog (or woodchuck, for those of you not from Western PA) walking along the bank in plain sight. What I would love to do with my classes is to use the lessons in the curriculum (I don't have a choice in that though), but use practical examples with native (or at least common) wildlife. When I was doing wildlife rehab, part of my job was to take animals (mostly hawks, owls - my favorite, skunks, opossums, reptiles) around to different schools for educational programs. It always amazed me how positively people responded to a live animal in the classroom. Even the "I'm too cool for you" middle school kids sat up and participated in the lesson. All I know is that if someone ever did that in one of my classes, it would've made me enjoy them a whole lot more...

Back