• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Having trouble with the temp/humidity

dryersheet

I have a hatchling in a 5 gallon tank. In about two week we will be moving her to a 10 gallon tank. She has a heating pad on one side set to medium and a water bowl on the other side and a branch thing. I got stick on thermometers b/c they were cheap and set them as low as I could just to get a general reading until I could get a digital thermometer. The stick on ones are both saying 80 (one on warm side and one on cool) so idk if its that they are cheap or its really like that. My snake is ALWAYS under her water bowl..she hasnt moved from that spot since we got her 3 days ago..and I was thinking maybe its cooler under there? Do you think maybe the tank is too small to get a gradient or is my uth too low?

Secondly the humidity in my tank is 65-70 and I got it down to 55 by pointing a fan at it..but is there any other way I could lower it so I dont have to have a fan going 24/7 (winters coming up and i dont need my room to be that cold haha)

I would bet your tank is too hot and she is staying under the water dish to keep cool. She is also getting settled in the new environment, so she won't be out and about much. AC and heat tend to dry out the air...when you turn the heat on for the winter, it should drop naturally.

Yea..that is what I was thinking. Even though her warm side isnt getting very hot. Bleh..I will have to buy a proper thermometer tonight and make the necessary adjustments.

I do have the A/C running but I don't think it reaches into my room very well which is why we have the fan..so hopefully the heating will haha

You know, I have been having the same issue with Zephyr. She's just a little hatchling, in a 30 gallon tank, one side is heated and the other side is under a grow lamp (low heat) for the couple of plants in there. That side also has her water dish and she ALWAYS uses it as her hide, although there is a hide on the warm side (a coconut hut thing) and a hide on the cool side (a rock hide) she always burrows under the water dish!
The warm side is at 86, the cool side is at 73, which I'm sure is chilly for her. The humidity is at 30-ish but it varies due to the plants.

Maybe hatchlings just naturally want to burrow under things to stay safe?

Just out of curiosity what are you using as substrate? I used to use paper towels and then switched to shredded aspen. It seems to me like the humidity stays lower with aspen. Possibly because it absorbs free moisture out of the air.

I used half rocks half reptile-friendly wood... I don't remember what kind of wood it is but I do remember that it isn't one that contains harmful oils.

Back