• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hawkeye Herps?

moonchild

Just wondering if anybody has purchased from Hawkeye Herps before? I have been thinking about it and just wanted to see if anybody has had any experience with them before?

Yes. I purchased a set of female Baird's from Shawn this summer. He is excellent to work with, his snakes are big and healthy and he was willing to sell me the only two females he had without a surcharge. He said he can sell the males to a local petstore. They were packed well, shipped on time and his cummunication was quick and helpful. They are great eaters, too. I'll definitely do business with him again, probably this summer.

Are the Bairds you got from him nice examples? I keep seeing adults t hat people have that aren't very nice compared to most bairds I have seen.

Also do you have any pics of the bairds you got from him? It is actually one of his male bairds that I am interested in.

I think they are gorgeous. They're only six months old and the orange is already coming in. One is slightly darker than the other, so I'm really anticipating their changes over time. I think they're going to be in the pale category, compared to some of the really dark samples on the Vivid Reptiles website.

These pics are when I first got them in this fall. If they come up in order like I hope, the first two are Ajana and the other pic is of Minerva. They are so close to each other in appearance I have to use the first marking at the base of their heads to tell them apart. Now I can see Minerva is darker but I still have to look close.

Last edited:
They are cute! Did you ever get to see any pictures of the parents? I am very seriously considering picking up the male he has and then getting 2 females from someone else I found. I sure can't afford the 110 each that vivid is asking. But the females I found have some really metallic looking parents and are supposed to come from the same area that vivid's stock originally came from.

I haven't seen pictures of Hawkeye Herps's adult Bairdi. Does anyone have any? I'm always on the lookout for something to complement my Bairdi.

I've been watching the hypos for a while (although many call them "albinos", which is too bad since they clearly produce some melanin). I may just have to pick some up in the next year or so.

Vivid's "Metallic Rats" seem to have a lot of the oranges and a great reduction in the metallic oversheen. They've enhanced the oranges and magentas through selection very nicely. If you like that look, they've done an excellent job selecting some high-color animals.

Unfortunately, for my tastes, they are heading in the opposite direction of what I want in my Bairdi. I like my Bairdi to have a ton of the "metallic" sheen. I want them to earn the name "Metallic". I don't want so much orange so far up on the scales because they start to look like the metal has mostly washed off. I like deep, dark red/orange in the interstitial areas, but I like the scales to be a light gunmetal grey which occupies much of the scale. I also seek out those with the least pronounced longitudinal dark lining.

Locality doesn't mean much to me, personally, much like in corns...I breed for what I like, not where they come from. I select for quality of the "steel", reduction of the longitudinal striping, and deepening of the orange between scales. Unfortunately, this requires keeping them back and seeing what they mature into...a much longer process, since it's nearly impossible to tell anything from a hatchling's coloration and pattern. The last clutch of them I bought I didn't keep a single one from. :rolleyes: They weren't what I wanted. Hehehe.

Sorry for the inane rambling. Just curious if anyone has any pics of adults from Sean's line.

This is the general look I'm going for in a Bairdi, but I'd like to reduce the black lining even more and redden the tone on the orange background. :D Always difficult to photograph these guys because so much of their appeal is in the shifting colors as they move about. Whenever they stretch the skin, the orange becomes more pronounced.
Elizabeth.jpg

Here's a not-so-greatly lit photo of the female and the male right before they bolted from the scene. ;)

Bairdi1.jpg

The male is more yellow than I want and shows a little darker longitudinal striping with more of a reduced metallic sheen.

Here's the pair as hatchlings. The male is the darker blotched one, the female's pattern was muted and brown.

Bairdi2.jpg

And the male showing off their glowing red tongue.

Nicolas.jpg

Where on earth did you get that female? She is gorgeous. That is also what I want, more metallic and less reds/oranges. I love the grey/metallic look.

She's originally from Adam Block (used to be Impact Reptiles), but he doesn't own the parents anymore. I wish I could remember who he sold them to.

I haven't found an equal to her yet, but I keep looking (which is why I was asking what Hawkeye Herps's Bairdi look like). :) In the meantime, I'll be holding back offspring and working on some selection.

Here are pics of the parents of the females I'm thinking of getting. I wish they had AS MUCH silver/grey as your female does. Also here's a pic of the babies, all the babies are female.

5539bairdi_shot-school.jpg

5539bairdmale2.jpg

5539ball_o_bairdi_1_2_.jpg

Wow, I would love to work that background color into mine!

5539bairdmale2.jpg

The redder/pinker, the better!

Now, to just increase the metal and decrease those stripes and we'd have the perfect Bairdi!

I know there's no way I will find one that turns out as beautiful as your female, but would I be safe in assuming that I could get closest by picking the lightest colors out of the available babies or would that even matter?

I honestly don't know that it's an indicator, but that's my plan for selection right now. I may just keep back a pair of the lightest and a pair of the darkest and see if the trend follows.

The last batch I had (bought a whole clutch) were all pretty identical, so there wasn't much selecting, but they got pretty darn dark longitudinal striping early on, so I sold them off as yearlings.

I was also wondering if it might be best to pick the ones with the least pronounced pattern? Since the goal is for most of the pattern to be gone as an adult... I guess maybe since I am thinking of getting 2 females and a male, I should get one lighter and one darker females.

Back