• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

He is paralyzed

7legion77

This is really alarming. I have him on the floor and he's obviously trying to move but can't. His head and neck are going in a constant S-shape trying to move forward, but its as if the lower half of his body totally unable to move on its own. The only time he can get anywhere is by wrapping his head around a branch or something to gain enough leverage to pull his paralyzed lower half and then he just flops to the ground.
Has anyone seen this before.

Has he ever acted like this before? What are his temps like? Any recent changes to anything major (temps, humidity, food/water, viv size/location)? Although I can't offer much from experience, these are things you should make note of when (not if) you take him to a vet. To me this sounds serious and definitely warrants a trip to a herp vet.

Thanks, subliminal.
On your urging, I took Wraith to the vet.
The prognosis was very bad. The vet immediately said that this was not normal, and that the snake was suffering from a neurological condition that would be very expensive to even diagnose.
I returned Wraith, in his debilitated condition, to the pet store in tears, where they will care for him better than I can.
There is one ray of light... they are breeding some snow corn hatchlings and will have them available in the future.
Right now, the big fancy vivarium I built and invested so much is sitting in my room, empty. It is awaiting the arrival of my future new snake. I will keep everyone posted.

= (

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, I suppose it is better though at least to have found out early and not caused any undue suffering. Good for you for taking him immediately and not waiting. How old was he? How long did you have him? Did the pet store offer any sort of reimbursement? I would recommend getting your next snake from a breeder rather than a chain pet store (if that's where you got him), as a rule their stock are better tended and in good health. It is hard but don't lose hope! Good luck with your next baby, we will be here if you need help.

I am so, so sorry that that happened to you and Wraith...
It obviously wasn't your fault, so at least know that it had NOTHING to do with you - and unfrotunately, it was an unforeseen circumstance. I'm glad you took him to the vet, even if the answer wasn't good... at least now you know.
Karma should be coming your way for the next snake, at least. Keep your chin up! You did all you could. :)

Couldn't the pet store give you another one? It's only fair. Most stores have some return policy. Sorry about your snake.

If it is a neurological condition, I would think it was a predisposition. Yes, perhaps something could have triggered it - but that doesn't mean it wasn't bound to happen anyway. Don't beat yourself up over it... accidents happen, everyone makes mistakes. Now you know for next time what to do and what not to do! It is a learning experience nonetheless.

:( So sorry it turned out like that for you. Was hoping for a better outcome. Don't be too hard on yourself. If it's neurological I doubt it was your fault. As well the mistakes you made in the past will help you through the care of your next scale baby.

Doesn't make it easier I know.

Right now, the big fancy vivarium I built and invested so much is sitting in my room, empty. It is awaiting the arrival of my future new snake. I will keep everyone posted.

= (

I don't know if you've thought of it, but clean that viv out entirely, including using liberal amounts of bleach to clean everything, and then soap and water. Discard whatever bedding you're using and get fresh. Clean all decorations as well, also with bleach. You don't want anything passed along to any new inhabitants, just in case.

Back