• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

he likes his tree...

norbert03

norbert and aelfric
aelfric is a timid little guy who spends quite a bit of time nestled deep inside his treehouse hide. on more than one occasion i offered him food inside his tree because i can't get him to come out. last night when i fed him i put the pinkie about an inch into the tree and he quickly slithered out, downed it and went back in. i placed the second pinkie on a kritter keeper that i laid down sideways...he slithered out of his tree, took the pinkie and immediately sought shelter again. ahaha. my hope was that he would go into the keeper and i could close him in while he ate and then place him back in the viv and get rid of that silly tree and find him a different hiding spot. my plan failed, oh well. he has another cave that he's not very fond of apparently. i'm afraid he'll get stuck in the top of the tree because he's a hungry hippo and is growing rapidly. he seems to like going in and up...he doesn't usually lie in the cave because he's not completely hidden, i guess he's all about security. any suggestions on what i should get for him? will removing this hiding spot stress him and cause health issues? if it's no longer an option hopefully he'll just begin to feel more safe in the other hides. i'm not sure where i'll find a larger hide that is similar, maybe i'll make one.

1stly, Don't worry about him being stuck ANYWHERE in his viv. If it can get in or up something, then it WILL be able to find its way out. Try removing the tree or cave (which ever it is it) and leave on your lap in front of T.V or something and it should come out due to inquisitivety. You may never see your snake crawling around in the 1st few months of keeping one until it completely settles in, and even then they can still be very secretive. The best cure (I would personally reccomend) is frequent but short handling, but try not to cause un-neccecery stress or discomort. (Remember to wait 36-48 hours after feeding before handling). Then gradually build up the length of time etc. Corns are nocturnal anyway so they will be tucked away in the daytime remember.

Hope this helps,

Andy :wavey:

Mine sleeps in his tree ALL the time. Here's a close up on my guy in his tree.

161_6143.jpg

PS. Can you post a pic of the treehouse hide? What a great idea.

i'm gonna borrow...

my mama's digital camera this week and try to get some pictures up of my snakes and i be sure to take on of the tree, it's neat, i'll probably leave it in their until i can find a new one.

Not to get off topic, but I just have to say that's the most awesome pic I've ever seen Spirit. The composition and colors are just great! I'm really impressed with how much of the pic seems to be in focus even with the foliage at so many different levels. I may not know a lot about photography, but I know I like that pic.

Mine was exactly the same, he adored his tree and sat in it constantly until he literally got too big and fat and dislodged the thing. He would suspend himself from it to reach his food as well.

You say Aelfric (great name) isn't totally hidden in his cave, so maybe that's why he doesn't use it, he just feels safer in his lil treehouse? You could put a larger hide in place of the cave and see if he used that? Or decorate it to make it look more tree-y :) Don't take his treehouse out though, he loooves it!

KatieL said:
Not to get off topic, but I just have to say that's the most awesome pic I've ever seen Spirit. The composition and colors are just great! I'm really impressed with how much of the pic seems to be in focus even with the foliage at so many different levels. I may not know a lot about photography, but I know I like that pic.

Better than this pic?? Beware the floating head.

160_6009_cr.jpg

And thanks!

Spirit just kills me with her camera skills....I'm hoping she'll come to the US one day and teach me how to use mine correctly! LOL (I'm still trying Mo) And Max is the perfect subject, TOO CUTE!!!

Haha, that one is adorable too. It *does* look like his head is floating. Are you sure you didn't just paste it on there with photoshop? (j/k, know you wouldn't). Great job with the photography there.

Hey Norbert

Why don't you just take him out of the tree and put him in the keeper when you feed him? I personally think too much emphasis is put on stressing out the little fella's. I buy those ziploc brand food storage containers, they are about 6.5" square and 2" tall. I burn holes in the side with a soldering iron. A napkin fits perfectly in the bottom. When I feed, I remove the snake and hold it until it "chills", and put him in there and give him a pinky, I put the lid on and let him eat in peace. when finished I put the container back in the cage and let the snake crawl out on his own(unless I'm in a hurry) and this works well for me. I understand that they can get stressed easily, but I also think it is important to let the snake become familiar with you and "understand" the feeding regimen at an early age. Hope I didn't bore you with this, and that you find it helpful.

Mike B

Back