• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heat cable...

Aubrey

ROCKSTAR REPTILES
For anybody who hasnt used this stuff yet, I just wanted to let you all know its pretty darn spiffy! I have alot of animals and I have been trying to minimize my cage space because, well Ive got vivs everywhere. You all know the cost of premade rack systems can be outrageous, so I will share what I came up with that seems to work great for me. I went to Wal-mart and bought sterilite storage rack systems, I have one that has three 24in x 18in tubs cost $17.89. Right now I am useing them for some of my my leopard gecko brood stock (3 pairs) and plan to set them up for snakes shortly. The problem with the stock shelves is that the bottom of one is the top of the one below it. This makes heat tape pretty much useless. My solution to this was heat cable, I got a 14ft lenght for $21.00 this was enough to run twice the length of each container, and still have enough left to reach the outlet. I drilled small holes in the back bottom corners of each tub, looped the cable along the back wall and then down to the tubs below. I left enough slack in the cable inbetween the tubs to open and close them with ease. I am really happy with the results and will post some pics of the set-up shortly. I condensed three separate vivs into a much smaller space for about $40.00. Im still not sure about how secure this would be for my corns yet but will continue to keep you posted.

I used one last year for a makeshift rack for hatchlings, it is pretty inexpensive and requires no wiring, I just ran it underneath some tupperware tubs and plugged it to a thermostat because I felt it got a little too hot. I didn't trust it enough to run inside of any enclosures, though.
This year I actually made a rack for my hatchlings with heat tape but if I get in a pinch again it is definitely a quick fix...

I thought it was sort of warm to at first, but I wrapped it around a therm.and it didnt get over 85f I thik it just feels hotter than it actually is because of the confined area. Ive got my rainwater,hypotangs,and trempor albs. on it and have checked them religously and they are fine and dandy :) lovin their new cribs!

Back