• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heat issue!!

louiscypher

Been checking the heat level in my tank and after many adjustments (sheets of glass, cardboard gaffa taped above heat mat in tank) I have stablised the temp to about 89 degrees is this OK? its only a temp measure until my thermostat and probe arrives then i can set it accuratley! he seems happy enough and has even burried under the substrate to curl up on the cardboard (to me if he was to hot he wouldn't do that) any input would be appreciated also as per my previous post is he an Amel or reverse Okeetee i just dont know??

cheers for the reply looked through all those links previousy but they dont answer my short term issue about the heat im only new to this and obviously dont want to stress or injure my snake, as for the type of snake i have I have my own opinion but would like some more input just trying to get involved in the site and banter :)

as mentioned in this post: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341
Q: What are good temperatures?
A: 75-80F for the 'cool' side, and 80-85F for the warm side. Try to avoid temperatures below 70F and above 90F.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26603

These posts will also help you:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40714&highlight=heat
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37411&highlight=tank+heating

The best way to learn is to read the posts.

To give you some indication, to search "heat mat" can also be referred to as "UTH" which stands for Under Tank Heating.

I personally use a bulb to heat the viv but with the cardboard above the glass it should be fine providing that it covers the whole glass and that there is no tape sticking out as you do not want your snake getting stuck on the tape... very big ouch!

Probably being a bit too picky and was just after a bit of reassurance from people who have had the same problems have read the site and the links that have been posted and its a common issue,i feel its better to get some live feedback than to read links which may not be current or people have found some new ways of dealing with the issue that arent included in the links, anyway what do you think he is? (see my new corn link)

A small section of my tank (the part directly on top of the heat mat) is at 90 at the glass. He doesn't sit on that section- instead he seems to hunker down under a rock ledge where it's ~84-85 degrees F. Just my experience... I am new to this too. I ran the temps by my vet and he said they were "near perfect." :shrugs:

Cool (or hot) bud that all i was after a bit of input from people with the same issue,mine was over 100 on the glass but put another layer of glass beneath and some card duck taped on top and we are down to 89ish and after disruping his tank he is straight under his cork log on top of the card!
If he is too hot will he move???

This should be ok since it's just for a couple of days. 89 is a bit on the warm side, but not enough to burn the snake, and I'm sure you'll get things straight once your thermostat arrives.

Thanks a nice straight answer! its only a temp measure like i said! he's still sitting under the cork log sticking his head out anyway!! i'm sure if he was too hot he would go into his water! thanks for the reply!

Back