• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

heat lamps?

Garrett__16

I have chosen to go with a heat lamp instead of a heat pad. I already have a heat lamp, but which wattage of bulb should i put in it?

I'm not sure about wattage since I use a heat pad (thye use less electricity, lesser chance of fire, I don't want to keep an annoying light on 24/7, don't have to constantly change bulbs when they burn out, lamps dries out the air too much, etc) but check the temperature with a thermometer directly under the lamp to make sure it isn't too hot.

As far as I know heatpads increase the risk of fire. Light bulbs are really safe because you´ve got a lot them in your house and they rarely cause any fire. The temperature may drop at night so the light must be turned off and won´t be on for 24/7. About the electricity you´re right. And about the the dry air, I have no problems with that.

Jersme

Last edited:
Just a thought. I use a plug timer with the heat lamp so it is not on 24/7 but does not let it get too cool. It all depends on how hot your house is and the size of your tank

Can someone tell me what wattage their light bulb is in their lamp? And when should i turn it off at night? If our central air conditioner is on is our house then should i leave the light on all night? What should i do? Please help me out.

lamps and lighting...

i would't suggest a lamp for a hatchling because of dehydration issues (i do use lamps on some of my older corns) but depending on the size of the tank a bulb in the 20-40w range should be good enough. try to track the temps (daytime and nighttime) and that will give you a good idea if the wattage on the bulb is right and how long you'll need it on each day. be careful with the lamp with a hatchling as constant mistig will be needed to keep the humidity up. good luck... :) ---jim

Heat lamp????

Hi Garrett 16,
I think that heat pads are very safe if you dont have them touching the shelf/table that your tank sits on,thats why they come with those little legs/pegs.
I am a new commer to the snake keeping thing (only 1 1/2 years) but I thought that seeing that Corn Snakes are nocturnal that having a lamp on at night would be stressfull for the snake. But I am not sure.
Jimmy C.

Re: Heat lamp????

Jimmy C. said:

I am a new commer to the snake keeping thing (only 1 1/2 years) but I thought that seeing that Corn Snakes are nocturnal that having a lamp on at night would be stressfull for the snake. But I am not sure.
Jimmy C.

You´re right about that. Corns don´t want any light at night. And snakes my snakes seem te be happier with a light bulb than with a heat pad. I think a bulb looks and feels a bit like the sun in nature. In most cases I use a heatpad and a lightbulb. I use the heat pad to keep the temps up. And the light bulb for simulating day and night time.

Jersme

Most of you have covered the issues of heat pads vs. heat lamps quite well. An even more important consideration than the heat source itself [avoiding hot rocks, of course] is accurate temperature control and measurement.

Temperatures at the warm end of the tank should be measured with a thermometer that is AT THE LEVEL OF THE SUBSTRATE. I use a $12 Taylor Digital Indoor-Outdoor Thermometer I bought at a hardware store. The remote probe intended for placement outdoors can be put right on the substrate on the warm end so you really know what the temp is. I've found that half an inch of aspen chips over the bottom with a heat pad under the glass of the tank keeps the temperature range just right on the warm side, since the room my tank is in is at a constant 72F all year.

On the cool side I just use one of the simple dial type thermometers made for vivariums.

Remember, go for 82-85F on the warm side, and 75-78F on the cool side are optimum.

Be warm and cool,
Doctor Mike

Just a thought...what about using the black or red lamps at night if it gets too cool in the house? Is this something that is OK?

Terri

There should be several simultaneous goals here for best snake health:

[1] To maintain optimum temperatures at both the warm and cool end at all times.

[2] To maintain a day/night cycle of illumination that is as close to nature as possible. The day illumination should preferably be full spectrum visible light, such as window light or a Vita-Gro lamp or equivalent.

[3] To achieve [1] and [2] with safety--avoiding fires or burns for snake and human.

I believe that all 3 goals can be achieved with either a heat pad or lamp if you use an accurate digital thermometer and/or accurate thermostatic controller, along with common sense.

Clearly, if a heat lamp is used, it should not emit visible light at night, which would defeat goal [2].

Illuminating thoughts,
Doctor Mike

If you're using a 20 long tank, a 20 watt bulb should be sufficient if the room temperature is in the low to mid 70s. If you use a night bulb, get a red one, or one of the reptile black bulbs - NOT a standard black light!

i use a red bulb for mine. so i can keep 24/7 and have an evern temp. and for himidity i just spary the cage every now and then about 3 times a day\

its all good.:D

Back