• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heat Mat

Yeah, shipping is the kicker. I researched six sites and the shipping to where I live ranged from $28 to $40, so Layne Labs' charge of $30 didn't seem so bad to me. Of course, LLL seems really affordable, too. My local Petsmart charges an arm and a leg for their mice, so that's not an option for me.

Pet Smart definitely charges an arm and a leg, although I have seen them offering F/T in bulk quantities on their website but don't recall the price off the top of my head. I still prefer LLL over anybody I've found so far. LLL also has a toll free number you can call (It's on their website home page). They are very helpful and don't mind answering your questions.

It it safe to use a UTH on Sterilite bins??

Do they make one small enough for use on the shoebox size Sterilites??

If not, how do you all heat them??

I don't think you can use an actual UTH on the shoebox Sterilte containers. I'm pretty sure the UTH (Like those from Zoo Med) are made for use on glass terrariums only. I've seen photos of what they call "heat tape" on the plastic boxes used by breeders, but I honestly don't have any experience in using them. I have a 20L and a 40 gal. and both use Zoo Med UTHs made for that particular sized tank.

I don't think you can use an actual UTH on the shoebox Sterilte containers. I'm pretty sure the UTH (Like those from Zoo Med) are made for use on glass terrariums only. I've seen photos of what they call "heat tape" on the plastic boxes used by breeders, but I honestly don't have any experience in using them. I have a 20L and a 40 gal. and both use Zoo Med UTHs made for that particular sized tank.

Thank you!!

Then what do you house your youngsters in, and how do you heat them?

UTHs are absolutely fine for both plastic and glass tanks. As long as you use them with a thermostat they never get hot enough to do damage to either. In fact without a thermostat, they get hot enough to harm Corns.

UTHs are absolutely fine for both plastic and glass tanks. As long as you use them with a thermostat they never get hot enough to do damage to either. In fact without a thermostat, they get hot enough to harm Corns.

I decided to frankenstein my old Sauder TV cart tonight.

It's wide enough to accommodate 9 shoe boxes-3 across by 3 high.

I'm using heat tape and a rheostat, and I'll have room on top for my roach colony.

When the babies are big enough for a regular tank, I'll invest in the UTHs and a new rheostat, and use the abandoned TV cart for a crestie quarantine rack.

Back