• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

heat mat

ricki1664

has anybody ever used 1 heat mat for 2 vivs... like putting the 2 tanks togeather and putting the heat mat bettween the 2 just wondered if it worked and heated the vivs up if so i might try this when i get another corn. if no 1 has tryed ill let u no if it works or not..;)

I have! I got a big heat mat ready for Akashas new viv when Akasha and Armand were still in in their smaller vivs, they each had the same size of heat mat they had before and it worked fine! :D

Im getting 3 new snakes tomorrow and i have some tubberware containers ready for them to live in. There are two 3ft heat mats heating these 3 big tubberware containers.

Cheers

Alex

Another mat questions....

Alex Dew said:
Im getting 3 new snakes tomorrow and i have some tubberware containers ready for them to live in. There are two 3ft heat mats heating these 3 big tubberware containers.

Alex,

I'm curious to know if the heating mats are your only source of heat. I have two corns that I'm using only a heat light. Now that it's winter time, their tanks seems to be getting colder than usual. Would I be able to use lights and a mat and would I keep the mat on all the time? Also, would I keep the mat on the same side as the light? I'm sure it'd be cheaper to use a mat then cranking up my heater every winter.

Any useful info. would be appreciated

Cheryl:)

Hi Cheryl......

If you're using a glass tank, I would suggest using an under tank heater, the kind that sticks to the glass underneath the tank. You just leave them on all the time.
I don't like using lights, it's too hard to control the heat when ambient air gets too cold or too hot.
If you place the heat mat under one side of the tank it will give the snake the option of the warm side or cool side.
Also, they don't interfere with the natural light cycle.

I also have a 3ft long mat which is currently heating only 2 vivs (I still have the other snake in quarantine). I have been monitoring the temps and they are stable between the two tanks. A much cheaper option than buying separate mats imo.

blitzbabe, i think alot of corn snke keepers only use heat pads- like clint says it provides a heat source which the snake can utilize as it needs, i often watch my entire collection come out fo there hides at about 7to 8 oclock inty he ven ing to heat up and then wander around looking for food, sometimes it happens with them all at once -very very wierd to watch.
I personal think the ideal set up for a corn in captivity is a heat mat on (permantly) and cardboard tube running the length of the cage (just like in the corn snake manual) this allows for the snkae to decide on what temp it needs and it gets to feel safe hiding :)

Hey blitzbabe

In 2 of my vivs I have a heatmat and a heat light.
I keep the heatmats on 24hrs a day. I put the heat mat in the middle of the viv.
I put the heat bulb to one side of the viv and only put it on during the day. Make sure the heat bulb is the fight Wattage and make sure that you have a termostate pluged into it if its over 40W.:D

Cheers

Alex

Thanks...

Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like I'll be switching to using a heating pad. Sure glad I read this thread since as Clint knows, it's getting colder up here and it's been hard for me to main tain my heat in their glass tanks. I don't want my babies being cold.

One more question for Clint, do you think I should only use a heat mat even if I'm not home for a couple of days. Meaning since it's been alot darker and I wouldn't be leaving any lights on, do you think I should still use a lamp but just a low wattage so they get some light when it's dark in my house? I don't really know if they perfer it dark all the time or just part of the day.

Oh and Clint, I'm still getting a snake. If I'm luckly, I'll get it as an early Christmas present. :D

Cheryl

Light requirements......

Corns don't need UV light like some other reptiles. They have been known to reside in caves and mining tunnels feeding on rodents or bats in total darkness.
I would use only the undertank heating pad. The light, or lack of it will have no effect on the snakes health. The heat that the snake needs for digestion is served well by the heat mat.

I hope you get that snake, I know how much you are looking forward to it!

If you switch heatingd, then I suggest putting it at one end. If you put it in the middle then you don't get as good of a temperature gradient.

Back