• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heat question

cornstimes3

So aside from the morning trauma of one of my babies escaping today and being completely worried about her I have some questions about the heat in my aquarium. They are currently in a 20 gallon aquarium. When I had my adults before we did not have the house heating issue that we now have at the place I live now. We can only run space heaters in the house, so how I use to keep my corns warm years ago won't work now. A reptile store told me that I should use a heat emitter on the 20 gallon tank and then he says I need to use a 150 watt emitter. I have never used a heat emitter before and that seems a bit much to use 150 watts. The house does get pretty cold at night and I want my corns to be comfortable. So far it has gotten down to about 65 in the house but winter is not here yet. This very question is what prompted me to find this site. I know I must sound like an idiot new snake owner but I could really use some advice.

Are you using a UTH/Thermostat combination? Ambient air temperature matters less than them having a properly warm spot. I expect ambient temps can get too low but I wouldn't know how low that is.

Until I make a change they have a 75 watt red bulb and a small under tank heater. They have several hides in cool and warm spots. The favorite hide is half under the light.

Back