• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

heat source

pirate925

my snakes just laid about 20 eggs on 4-23-04 afternoon. after viewing threads other people posted, i think i got an idea what to do. just one last question, for the heat source will the lamp be better or the heat mat? gave me advice plz. thx :)

For the eggs its best to use an incubator. But if you dont use the incubator, I would say the heatmat would be better that the lamp.

Alex

NO...do you have them in a box with moist moss or vermiculite? They need to be rehydrated or you are going to lose them.

this is what it looks like now.
im going out shopping today for better improvements.
plz tell me what should i do.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 87
to add to my post,
i do have a heat mat right under the container,will it be too close?
i do have add water in the container, but dunno is it too much or not enough.
again, plz gave me advice. thx

They definitely should NOT look like that. I would go to Lowe's and get some long fiber sphagnum moss. Get it completely wet, then wring out most of the water. I usually wring out as much as I can, but since you need to rehydrate the eggs, you should leave it a little wetter. It shouldn't be dripping wet, though. Place some of the moss in the bottom of your box, then put in the eggs. Cover the eggs with more moss. I personally would not put a heat mat under them. If you don't have a incubator, then try putting them on top of your refrigerator or some other spot that says between 78-85 degrees. 82 degrees is optimum, but the eggs should do fine in that range. The room temp method is typically safe unless you have it really hot or really cold in your house. It may take a little longer for the eggs to hatch, however.

Good luck!

Even before you go to lowes, you need to add water to that vermiculite!!! They need water soon... I see there eggs that are alive still, but that will die very very soon without additional moisture. I would add at least a quarter cup of water in a circle around the actual eggs, and if they looked that dry, myself I would probably mist them from about a 2 foot distance so that they all had a very light mist of water on each egg... if they don't get some moisture soon, you'll lose them.

I'm guessing that your heat mat is making thme WAY too hot also. Better for them to be a little cool (78 degrees) and take longer to hatch, then to have them too warm, hatch quicker, and see a bunch of little kinked babies that have to be euthanized anyway!

Good idea Sasheena! I didn't think to tell him to go ahead and add some more water now. Are you sure that's vermiculite? The vermiculite I had looked nothing like that. That looks like some kind of wood shavings to me...

those are wood shaving.
i didnt get a chance to get some shopping since today,
and i didnt realize my snake is pregnant,
so i dont have anything prepared.:awcrap:
i just grab anything i got, and put this together.

i own 2 corns since they were baby, and this is my first egg.
hope they will survive, i dont want anything to happen to them.:cry:
already almost 48 hr has passed, hope everything is not too late.

Wood shavings really do not hold in the humidity. Try placing a damp paper towel on top of the eggs, as well. That may help them to absorb some more moisture. If you want to try to save the eggs, you must get them rehydrated immediately. You will lose them if you don't.

If that tub of eggs is directly on a heat mat your in trouble.
I experimented with a tub on a heat mat a nd the temp shot up to above 100. I now have a towel folded in 4 on the mat and thr tub on the towel. even now the thermostat I use kicks in to turn the mat off when the temp reaches 84.
I would also put a loose lid on the tub to keep the humidity high and the moisture in.
If your quick you may save some eggs.
All the best...

i have did all u guys had advise me,
and hope i can save some eggs.
i'll let u guys know if any lucky eggs did get a chance to hatch.
thx to everyone.

Pirate, yes, please keep us updated. Snake eggs can be quite tough, so my hope is that the majority of the eggs were saved. Can you describe your new setup to us? Hope you realize that the words of advice were all to help and not to criticize. To avoid such emergencies I always have vermiculite standing by in case I need it for a sudden clutch of eggs. As it is I am expecting up to 7 clutches this year. :) Very exciting stuff!

I am dealing with my first ever clutch - nine good eggs and one looks like a slug - and have the same trouble with dehydration. The eggs are about half as dented as those in Pirate's photo.

Our setup is a seedling incubator with a heated base, filled with damp vermiculite. The eggs were fine when we put them in yesterday but by last night were dented, despite the humidity guage reading over 90% all day. Temperature was 80F two inches above the substrate, so I'm figuring it was probably a little high for the eggs which were closer to the heat source. I turned the heat off as soon as I saw the dents, causing the temperature to drop to 70F. It's now back up to 75 courtesy of a heat mat taped to the side of the incubator, but humidity is down to 80%. I've covered the eggs with damp sphagnum and now (thanks to the advise above) a damp paper towel. Haven't got anything to mist them with - what do you guys use?

My questions are - how will I know when the eggs have rehydrated? Will the dents disappear?

And is a constant 75F temp going to see my eggs hatch, or does it need to be warmer?

Thanks for your help

David

David,

75 degrees should be OK. The eggs will take longer to hatch, though. It would be best if you could get the temp up a little. Try moving the incubator to a warmer place in the house. I am incubating my eggs at room temp this year. The temps have varied between 75-82 degrees, and almost all of the eggs have survived so far. Many of them are due to hatch within a couple of weeks.

Also, you will know when the eggs are rehydrated because the dents will disappear. The eggs should plump back out. I personally don't ever spray water directly on the eggs, but I would assume any spray bottle that will spray a fine mist should work fine.

Thanks a lot Terri - I think they have plumped out a bit already .

It's difficult to find a warm spot here in the UK, so 75F may just have to do. How long would you expect the eggs to take at that temp?

David

You're welcome.

I'm not sure how much longer it will take them to hatch at 75 degrees. I'll be able to tell you better after my eggs hatch. Mine haven't been at a constant 75 degrees, though. Yours may take even longer than mine.

You be better off trying to up the temp somehow. You could try putting the incubator on top of the regrigerator. Most of the time it's warm there.

Last year I had a little bit of trouble getting the eggs to the right temperature (in the beginning) so what I did is place them in their incubation container, inside a ten gallon aquarium. The ten gallon had a heat mat affixed to the bottom, so the temperature next to, but not directly under the heat mat, raised it up to a nice 85 (I had a temperature probe IN the substrate to measure the temps.)... sometimes it would get cooler, I would move it closer to the heat mat (but never directly ON the mat), and when it got warmer, I moved it further away... until the temperatures got so warm I didn't need the aquarium. By the time they hatched I couldn't keep their temperature below 84 which is good, as outside it was 115+ degrees daily.

Also I don't normally spray the eggs directly, but I considered the situation with the collapsing and imperiled eggs to be an emergency... if you can't get the substrate to help the eggs to be properly hydrate, try the direct method. I would not suggest misting them with any regularity once they are doing good. Once the setup is doing most the work I just add a bit of moisture AROUND the eggs to the vermiculite itself.

Back