• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

heat???

ok well i got a new corn snake on monday, hes not in his viv yet but there are a few questions id like to ask. firstly the viv i bought off the rbeeder had the heat mat inside the viv (is that safe) i guess there is no other way for the heat mat to work seeing as the base is half an inch thick wood. also there is a socket for a lamp above where the heat mat is. do i need a heat lamp aswell? because i want a light so i can see my snake. but i dont know what to get. any suggestions?

If you have to have the mat inside the viv, then cover it over to prevent poop making contact with it (especially, the junction where the wire goes into the mat, which could cause an electrical short and injure the snake). Some folks build false floors using plywood, or cover the mat with a layer of ceramic wall tiles.

You shouldn't need a lamp as well, but it depends. What are the temperatures at the warm end and the cool end?

Snakes don't actually need lights (as long as the room they're in has natural sunlight) so if you just need something as a light source for your benefit, hopefully someone will be along soon to advise - I don't use lights at all in my vivs.

If you have to have the mat inside the viv, then cover it over to prevent poop making contact with it (especially, the junction where the wire goes into the mat, which could cause an electrical short and injure the snake). Some folks build false floors using plywood, or cover the mat with a layer of ceramic wall tiles.

You shouldn't need a lamp as well, but it depends. What are the temperatures at the warm end and the cool end?

Snakes don't actually need lights (as long as the room they're in has natural sunlight) so if you just need something as a light source for your benefit, hopefully someone will be along soon to advise - I don't use lights at all in my vivs.

thanks alot. and if i remember correctly (not at home right now) the warm end is at 29 and the cool end is at 20. are they ok? also thanks i might get some plywood and make a false bottom before i put him in it properly. and yes i just want it for my benefit so i can see him easier my room is quite dark you see and i wud like to be able to view him easier.

I have my UTH inside my viv - Its covered with a piece of masonite.
I think that if its being monitored so it doesnt get to hot it shouldn't be a problem.

And like Bitsy said - try keep it covered so that it doesnt get contact with poo or water.

Back