• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heated Floors...would it attract my lost snake?

xbveilsidedx

I've lost my corn snake. BUT...

I actually have this room downstairs, and what is special about this room is that the floors are able to heat up to the degree I want it to heat up too. *it was for my grandparents, who liked everything hot hot hot* Which leads to my questions (sorry if I am annoying or bugging anyone!!)

1. Do you think if I used that room, and heated up the floors overnight, would the snake be able to "detect" or find that room?

2. How are snakes able to find food and water if set up?

There is really no way to guess just how far your snake will range in search of food, water, heat, etc. Your best chance is using a flashlight every hour or two from dusk until you go to bed, night after night. Could take many days, even weeks or months. And use the tape traps that were mentioned in your new member thread. And maybe the flour or toothpicks to find the general area he is cruising.

Did you get a chance to read all of the old threads about escapes and traps under the search feature? There have been some pretty extensive discussions, although the flashlight search and tape traps are probably the most important parts of the discussions. But you may get some other ideas from the threads, too.

Actually yes, I have. I've gone through many past posts and read through many many stories, tips, and tricks. However, most of the topics I found were regarding BABY corn snakes, and I wasn't sure if the same rules applied to my 4footer.

However, I have problems with using the flour (cause my mom doesn't know yet, and she would be EXTREMELY angry if I poured flour all over the floor >.<)

What I have done however is, spread masking tape in every room with a bowl of water. And I've turned up the heated floors to a good 85 degrees. Hopefully, my snake will turn out within this week ^^

Question: Would I need to bring a pinkie (or thawed out mice) in every room as well as the water and tape?

I wouldn't worry about food for a while. Actually, dirty mouse bedding (if you can get some) is better to lure them out than an actual mouse, since the mouse will rot quickly if not eaten.

Remember that a snake will usually cruise the perimeter of a room. So, if you like, lay a few toothpicks in a certain way around the perimeter to see if they are disturbed overnight (as long as no cats or dogs are in the room). But if the tape strips are hanging here and there along the walls, the snake is likely to get tangled in them if it does cruise the perimeter of that room.

A healthy adult snake can easily go a couple (or many!) months without food, and without losing a terrible amount of weight. So don't worry too much about food, for now.

Oh really? I can actually go to my local pet store and grab some mice bedding.
What would I do with the bedding? Make a bottle trap with it?

Ah, I've messed up my tape placement then. I've actually placed them ACROSS the room's scattered randomly, instead of taping around the perimeter. Thank you for your assistance!

And as for the toothpicks, I am assuming they are used as a replacement for flour? My house is so big :( it really is hard to find warm corners, and I have no general idea of where my snake is. I first thought it was upstairs because it is usually very warm and dark. But, I don't think the snake would hesitate to go downstairs either, although it is kept cold. So I'm just very confused as to where it might be..

The tape should hang down the walls, sticky side out. Use 1 - 2' pieces, stuck to the wall so that they just barely brush the floor. They will also serve as "toothpicks", in a way. If the snake brushes a piece of tape, he will probably get himself so stuck that he can only go in circles. But if he does manage to get loose, at least you will see the tape has been disturbed, and know where he has been.

If it was a baby snake, I would put the bedding in a bottle trap. But with a big snake like yours, I would put it in a dark, comfy hide box that he might decide to stay in once he is in it. Or if you have a tall waste basket, you can put it near a shelf he might cruise on, near a wall. Put some shavings in it, in a hide at the bottom of the waste basket. He may go down to investigate, and if the basket is tall enough, won't be able to climb back out.

All of these are just "shots in the dark", since you don't even know what room he is in. If you can close off some rooms (assuming he can't get under a door, or some other way in or out), then at least you will know what room he is in if he knocks something over, or disturbs tape, toothpicks, or anything else you can notice.

If you have cats or dogs, watch their behavior. They sometimes hear or smell a snake when you don't notice it. So if you see your pet staring intently into or under something, check it out. But try to keep cats and dogs away from anywhere you have set out tape, toothpicks, etc.

I've only had one experience with lost snakes--an '08 Kenyan sand boa, whose faunarium I accidentally left open after showing him/her to my cousin... If you have ANY rodents in the house, set traps and keep an eye out around their cages... Maybe even let them go a little extra while without cleaning. I found mine next to my bathroom, where the mice are kept, wedged into the edge between the carpet and the wall.

Oh, and always keep an eye out. Always. He will most likely show up when you least expect it... I found my KSB while I was on the toilet.

Hope it helps. =)

Back