• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heater

Ocelot

I have a heater, I keep forgeting what they're called, is it UTH's? Anyways, when I first got my viv and UTH and snake, the pet shop owner set it up for me.

Should the UTH actually be inside the viv? My Viv is sorta made of a type of plastic and now there is a bump on the bottom of the viv where the UTH is! Its very annoying.

Is the UTH supposed to be under the Viv (well someone told me that). If so, does much heat actually get through into the viv?

Thanks. ;)

i have always heard of people using a heater. i dont need one cause my room is hot and the temp in my felix's (snake) cage stays around 80 in the afternoon and 70-75 in the night depending if i keep the black light bulb on. i just have a regular light in the day and a black light bulb at night.

No, it definately shouldn't be inside - you snake could easily burn itself if it burrows, and could well be fatal if you haven't got a rheo/thermostat to regulate the temperature, And when underneath the viv it will heat up through the viv and the substrate, roughly about an inch or so thick, too thick a layer and it could not let the heat through.

I've heard of people putting them inside before, but I believe that is done mostly when someone has a viv made of wood (?). Still, the UTH must be completely enclosed and carefully regulated to make sure no harm is done to the snake.

In your case, putting it on the outside should be more than sufficient. I don't know what kind of plastic your viv is, but I can't imagine that the UTH should be hot enough to deform the plastic. Then again, I don't know what temps will start to melt different types of plastic.

Is your UTH regulated in any way? Do you have a good thermometer to monitor what is going on?

What size heat pad did the pet store sell you and what brand? The cobra mats, and many others, are too hot for plastic. The only ones I know of that are not too hot are the ZooMed mini (not a bigger size), and the ZooMed crab heater, which is really the same thing I think. What kind of cage is he in?

BTW, pet store are not always good sources of information, and they try to sell you stuff that costs more or you don't need. The big chain stores are bad about that too, and many of their employees are undertrained or wrongly trained for snakes.

The heating pad is roughly 1 foot by 1 foot. I regulate it by using a Habistat thermostat. Still, I'm not sure if thats accurate.

What temperature should my viv be at btw?

A 12"x12" mat is for a sizable enclosure. What size viv do you have?

The temps on the warm side shouldn't be any warmer than around the mid 80s.

Oh, and a uth that size is definetly not the low watt size usually sold for plastic tanks. Maybe you can take it back to the shop?

My Viv is 2 feet by 1 foot, so it covers half of it! Well it seems everyone is telling me different things.

What temperature should the cool side be?

Is half of the viv too much to be covered? And why?

I wouldn't take it back to the pet shop seeing as hes a very friendly guy and he made a very good deal on the snake and is very helpful. No harm done.

Back