• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heating for racks? help needed

sa_grubb

Reptile Reaper
hi everyone. I am going to build a rack for breeding. mostly for hatchlings and juvies and was wandering about heat tape and also heat ropes. I would like some suggestions on which would be better and how to run each. The rack is going to hold 2 bins on each shelf and will have 4 or 5 shelves. im going to build the back wall so i can attach my heating to it instead of setting the tubs on top of the heat. This is my first rack and would like to do it right.

The way I build mine is heat on the back, not under. The one thing I always have trouble with is the correct amount of space between the bin the snake lives in and the top of that shelf. If there is to much space you will have an escape. If it is to close or touching it can be hard to open the bin for caring of the snake. If you are using melamine to build make sure you do not have to much humidity, the melamine will start to bubble up like a sponge causing it to be VERY difficult to open the bin.

Even after I have built so many racks I still try new ways and find out what doesn't work. Try not to use worped/bent would for shelves...cause if you do you WILL be missing a snake. I know from experience.

I hope this info helps, please let me know if you have anymore questions.

K sounds good for the back. Do you use heat tape? I want to use plywood if possible also.

Yes I use heat tape, never tried anything else because heat tape has never failed me. Plywood works well just make sure each shelf piece is level and not worped/bent. I was messing around building a yearling rack with plywood and a few sections in the back where you can't see when the bin is pushed is worped and one of my girls jumped from one bin to another. I will be changed that out.

I use a heat cable on my rack. It's open metal shelving, not wood, but I've been really pleased with the heat cable's effectiveness.

Back