• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

heating in rubbermaid

CORNSANDMORE

i will be buying rubbermaids for my corn snakes now,but i don't know how to heat them,i have a heat light,with the snake can't touch but the outer rim gets quiet hot and will melt the rubber maid,HELP!!

yes use heat pads or heat tapes....I personally use heat tapes which work great with them...
I use Sterilite (which is about the same as Rubbermaid....the price is almost the same too....I just like the looks of Sterilite better than rubbermaid IMHO)

the heat tape that I am using is called flexwatt heat tapes...they are super easy to install and works great!!!

I'm more a Sterilite fan myself... As far as heating goes you cannot go wrong with heat tape IMO. I've used it for years with my Sterilite rack systems with no problems.

Yes please go with heat tape, it is the best solution for any kind of rack system.. A heat pad against rubber isn't a good idea at any time, although it may seem safe.

I disagree

I agree that heat tape is always the best way to go, but disagree that heat pads are not a good idea at any time. In my experience and fom what I have learned using a proper herp heating pad with temp control is prefectly safe, and provides the temp you need.

If you have only one or two corns in rubbermaids its sometimes is not cost effective well better I should say not time effective to set up the heat tape and its controls for two corns! this is where heat pads can work perfectly.

The suggestion that heat pads burn rubber is true, if misused, but essentially heat pads and tape are the same thing, only heat tape is a little further away from the plastic. This can easily be accomplished with a heat pad as well by raising the cage with a few bottle caps.

You don't have to buy heat tape for one or two corns is what I am saying. Heat pads used properly DO work fine.

bmm

You can find heat tape online for about $2.50 a foot for 3inch wide & $3.70 for 11 inch wide. The electrical cord & insulators/clips used for each length of heat tape are extra.

human heater

hey just wanted to ask a question ...i baught a human heater ///its sort of a fan.....u can chooose high heat or low heat...low heat emits 750 watts of heat...is that good or bad..??? ....i put the fan right above the tank pointing downwards ..right now the snake seeems to like it but i dunno i dnt feel to good....someoone please help

the warm side should be around 84ºF on top of the substrate, not the ambient temperature. What does your thermometer read?
The cool side should be in the 70's

hello

Well I don't think your fan type heater is a good idea! I may be wrong so anyone else chime in but wouldn't that create a constant draft?????? I know it would be a warm draft, but even so it would creat really dry condtions wouldn't you think? anyone?

bmm

Back