• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heating Issues!

itzchaboiwesley

this is my first snake and know only alittle but not sure on some things. but Ok well im alittle confused about where to place the heating bulb at. pretty much i have this rock dome on the left side his water dish in the middle and a half log wood on the right. i placed the blue heating bulb on top on the half log and the inferred on top of the rock dome. i was reading that your supose to keep the heat in one place so like i leave the blue bulb on over the half log and at night i just leave the inferred over the dome. is that ok? or do i have to keep the heat on just one side as in if i have the heat on the half log it the heat at night and during the day should be on the log or vice versa as in on the rock dome. and another thing is that if i leave the blue heat bulb over the rock dome and the rock dome get kind of hot will that cause burns to my snake. same if i did it with the red light at night? thanks!

hmm i see well the heating bulbs dont really get that hot but its more warm. hmm i was told that the heating pad can cause some burns becuase when the snake buries himself inthe substrate towards the heating pad that sometimes the he can get some burns to his belly. n if they need one cool and one warm i should just keep the heat during the day and night in one spot then huh

I dunno hey - I have a 40w blue bulb that i bought for use at night and even that pushes the temps way over the recomended level - I still think you should use a UTH and a thermostat or something to control it - but yeah - you only need to heat one side

BTW - I dont use the blue bulb for anything now - maybe in winter it'll work to keep up the ambient temp - will see.

O yeah - Do you have a good thermometer?

hmm isee thanks for the advice. yes i do have a thermometer along with the hygrometer. when ever the blue heat is on during the day it only reaches barely 80 degrees and at night with the red lamp it goes down to like 78 or so or sometimes it stays at 80 also.

Next question, are your thermometers stick ons or digital?
The stick on's are wildly inaccurate for measurement and are likely to be severly off.

Use a UTH with a digital thermometer probe directly over it. Keep the temp at 85 degrees with a rheostat or thermostat and you will be all set.

:)

Ya its one of those stick ons. Hmm the digital should they have it where it shows humity also. Or its two. Seperate meters. N also were can I get one from a store. Don't like ordering things online n thanks for info everyone!

Its handy to get one that has a hygrometer but not necessary. Especially if you already have a seperate hygrometer.

I bought mine at Walmart. They sell them any place like that these days. Target, Meijer...
You can get a rheostat at the same place, probalby. It's just a lamp dimmer switch.

oh and also you said that the stick on are usually inaccurate. are they inaccurate as it will show it at 75 but is it usually inaccurately higher or lower?

and im worried about the heating pad that it might burn him when he buries him self under the substrate and causing some bunns! heh.

oh and rehostat? not sure what that is?? u said its a light dimmer? does that also control the heat too right? heh ya as you can tell i dont know much but need to learn more!

It's a light dimmer. It looks like a power cord with a socket at one end and a plug at the other. There is a switch in the middle - usually a slider thingamajiggy. Plug the heat pad into the rheostat and plug the rheostat into the wall.

Put the heat pad under the cage.

Put the digital thermometer right inside the cage and put the probe right on the bottom of the cage, over the heat pad. Make sure the probe is at the absolute hottest spot the snake can reach.

Play with the rheostat until the thermometer reads 85 degrees at the probe. Now you know the snake won't get burned because it can only get to 85 degrees if it sits right on the heat pad (and right next to the thermometer probe).

All done.

:spinner:

Back