• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

heating issure

rekn

ok, ive got an uth from zoomed and i cant seem to get the temp above 80.

i live in CO in a basement lol so im wondering what to do now? the thermometers probe is on top of the substrate, should i actually go to the bottom glass with it?

You should have the temp probe directly in the middle of the UTH right on the glass, under the substrate. That seems low for a Zoomed, though, they are among the hottest.

Nanci

Same here

Don't worry I have been having the same problem except the oposite. On top of my substrate the temp with my UTH has been almost 95. However I bought a dimmer and have been able to get it at 85.

Another quick question

On this topic. Is that the perferred temp measuring technique to put it right on the glass? I have always measured right on top of my repti carpet, since the carpet substrate is thinner.

You have to measure the hottest possible place the snake could get to, which is right on the glass. Choco and Addy have repticarpet under their aspen- I don't know why, and they both _love_ to burrow under there. They have all kinds of permanent tunnels carved into it.

I set up my three latest cages with no carpet- and it is so much easier to locate snakes.

Nanci

Alrighty then

OK. I was told here to use repti capet until my hatchling gets older and then use Aspen. If my hatchling would go under the Repti carpet, which she hasn't yet but I bet she will, 85 on the glass shouldn't hurt her correct? also suggest any substrate changes?

and no matter what it's the glass temp that matters not what's on top?

Thank you so much for your help Nanci. It's amazing how much research I did before purchasing my snow corn and how truly little info I really knew.

Thank you.

I read on the back of an UTH mat i bought that the substrate directly above the mat should not be deeper than about half an inch otherwise it will have trouble heating the viv. This thick substrate will insulate in the cage from the outside in a way stopping the heat gettting in!

rekn said:
i wonder if human touch is to hot.

98.6 degrees is your core temperature. Your hands are a good bit cooler than that. Last week I had a temp gun and I got curious (and bored :)) so I pointed it at my other hand and got a reading of about 85. And besides that, even if you're letting the snake sit on your lap, your clothing isn't going to be the same temperature as your body. It's not quite the same as having them crawl around on hot glass or hot substrate in an enclosed space. They can get away from your body heat if it becomes too much.

But back to your original post, 80 is probably fine. I mentioned this on here one other time and got whined at (along with a few other people that are of the same school of thought) by some other users, but I'll say it again. In the wild, nobody is there to regulate temperatures. I keep my corn around 80-82 and I don't use a heat mat or lamp. My snake room is about that temp at floor level, and I've never had a problem with him.

Back