• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heating Question

Charger9

On the hot side of my tank i have an exo terra UTH that I have not stuck to the bottom, I just set the tank on top of it. During the day and into the evening this keeps the hot side at about 86 degrees. However at night we tend to run the air all night and this has dropped my hot side to about 79 degrees the first night and 73 degrees the second night and I am worried this is to low of a temp for the hot side.

My questions would be is this temp to low for overnight and if so how do I go about keeping the temps higher with the air on?

First of all... Do you have a rehostat? If not you need one to control how hot it gets. IF you do get one you can lay a piece of aluminum foil over the sticky side (so it doesn't stick to the bottom) and then use duct tape to attach it to the bottom, ONLY do this once you have a rehostat otherwise you'll cook the snake. The proper cornsnake ranges according to the manual are 70-80* F. With a rehostat and it tape to the bottom it will make it easier to control the temp even with the air on.

Hope this helps.

John

Charger9 said:
So then it's ok for the hot side to get down to 73 degrees at night?

"The proper cornsnake ranges according to the manual are 70-80* F." 73 doesn't seem to be a problem.

I put a thermometer into the bedding on the side the UTH is on I guess I should go out and get a thermostat. Oh and a question in the above posts it says according to the manual the hgh temp should be 80 is that in the old Corn snake manual because in the new Kathy Love book it says 88 is the high range.

Was looking at a Repti Temp Rheostat by zoo med would I be able to plug my exo terra heat mat right into this device to control the heat?

p.s. thanks the link on the build it yourself but I think if I tried that it would only really heat things up with the massive fire I would probobaly start :)

Charger9 said:
I put a thermometer into the bedding on the side the UTH is on I guess I should go out and get a thermostat. Oh and a question in the above posts it says according to the manual the hgh temp should be 80 is that in the old Corn snake manual because in the new Kathy Love book it says 88 is the high range.

A thermometer with a probe is what your looking for most pet store that snakes and such will have them but you can go to Home Depot or Wal-mart and get an indoor/outdoor type with a probe. Place the probe above where the uth is in the substrate for a good reading.

Yes 88 is in the high range, I tend to rise the temps higher just after feeding. and if the snake has an illness such as an R I you can raise the temps but in general 80- 85 is good.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341

Good Luck :cheers:

I have a ReptiTemp rheostat, and I find it doesn't keep my corn's tanks cool enough.

88 is the maximum range you want to have your corns temps. They do well in 80-85 on the warm side. And no, it won't hurt for the temps to dip a little at night. That's what it does in nature anyway.

Back