• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Heating Question.

Tg1222

Hey guys, i will be getting a hatchling snow corn tomorrow and i have a question about heating. I plan on using an UTH but i dont really want to use a thermostat or the like. The model of the heat pad is a Zoo Med Repti-Therm UTH Under Tank Heaters. Its description is as follows:

Under tank heaters designed to heat the ambient air temperature of your terrarium an average of five to 10 degrees (F) warmer than room temperature. Solid state nichrome heating elements with UL/CSA approved power cords.

Do you think i could get away with not using a thermostat if i put a thin towel over the pad? Anything that can avoid a thermostat would be great. Thanks guys! :duck:

I have a bunch of those in use., They easily get to 120F. If you put anything on top of it, the snake can burrow under it. One thing you could do is put a heavy ceramic tile over it- providing that allows a decent temp of 80-85 or so.

Why don't you want a thermostat? The ZooMed 500R can be found on-line for under $25.

Hey guys, i will be getting a hatchling snow corn tomorrow and i have a question about heating. I plan on using an UTH but i dont really want to use a thermostat or the like. The model of the heat pad is a Zoo Med Repti-Therm UTH Under Tank Heaters. Its description is as follows:

Under tank heaters designed to heat the ambient air temperature of your terrarium an average of five to 10 degrees (F) warmer than room temperature. Solid state nichrome heating elements with UL/CSA approved power cords.

Do you think i could get away with not using a thermostat if i put a thin towel over the pad? Anything that can avoid a thermostat would be great. Thanks guys! :duck:

To play it safe, get a retrostat or thermostat. Do not run a heating unit unregulated. For the safety of the snake ..get something.

as of right now my parents dont want to order anything from online. We have alot going on and i would like an easy way to heat the tank without a thermostat. I dont have much room either. I figure if i have the pad under the tank and put a towel on top of the pad and under the glass it should be fine. We have a baby corn snake at my school and she does just fine with a heat pad with no thermostat.

this looks a bit too dangerous for my blood. Lol, thanks though. Again, the snake we have at school does just fine as does my proffesor's corns. Actually my proffesor's corns dont even have a heat source during the summer months. Their tank is about 72-76 degrees during summer. He only uses pads in the winter and he dosnt have a thermostat. So do you guys think my corn would be ok? Also if i NEED a thermostat, is it possible to get one from somewhere other than online?

Ive been looking through petco and petsmart and they dont have any herp thermostats. Any other places? Hardware stores? Sorry for all the trouble i just want to be safe :shrugs:

Talk to the person in charge and have them order one for you.
But your better off just making one unless you go with a good thermostat.

alrighty, ill see if i can get one ordered for me. If anyone else has an idea im all ears. Im going to see if i can get a constant temperature tonight

Back