• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Helix Radiant Heat Panel

germantank22

Hi Everyone,

So first thing, I am using this heat panel for my Coastal Carpet Python, not for cornsnake maintenance. So I don't know if this thread should be moved, but it is a husbandry issue so whatever.

I just got my Helix radiant heat panel today and it is pretty awesome. The instructions say that it is 100% safe to leave mounted to the roof in an enclosed cage and that the max temps are safe to the touch for reptiles (and humans).

So I am letting it run at 100% power right now to burn off any excess solvents per the instructions. Whenever I touch it, though, it feels way too hot to the touch. Granted, I don't have it on any sort of temp. controlling device yet.

The instructions guarantee that this product is 100% safe for the reptile when left running at 100% power. I am just wondering if anyone else has used these INSIDE their vivs and if they have had any problems with burns or anything. It's not like my snake can lay on the actual heated surface like a UTH, but I am still worried that he may get injured. I want to take the manufacturers word, but I am also wondering if I should put some sort of barrier around the panel.

Constructive input will be greatly appreciate.

-Jim

Might be worth emailing the manufacturer, explaining your concerns and asking their advice? It could be that it's not working as per their specs. "Too hot to touch" vs "Safe to the touch" is a significant difference.

I love my panel from reptile basics! At full power mine was hot to the touch, but I could leave my hand on it for about 10 seconds without any burning sensation. On a t-stat, surface temp was quite a bit cooler, I would see how yours feels after hooked to a t-stat.

I also have a reptile basics heat panel. I think when plugged in directly the surface gets to 125-130 degrees F. I can put my hand on it for 10-15 seconds before it starts to get uncomfortable, but when on the thermostat, even as the temp is coming up from ambient and it's supposedly running at full power, it only seems to run at 120-125 degrees, and I can put my hand on it indefinitely. Since my Herpistat's probe is on the flexwatt and it doesn't run full power once up to temperature, the heat panel only gets up to 75-80 degrees tops. I have it in there just to help out with ambient temps in the winter when my condo is usually at 65 degrees.

Good input and thoughts. I have it hooked up to a rheo now which seems to be working okay until I get another t-stat. It was definitely a good purchase.

Back