• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hello All I am new here!

AnnaJackTN

Hi,
My name is Anna and I have an 11 month old Okeetee Corn Snake....Alice is her name.She is so cool...I love the bright orange red colors....just upgraded her tank from a 10 gallon to a 20 by 30 ....She loves it...I do have a question though...People at pet stores tell me different things about lighting...Here is what we have.....If I am doing any thing wrong tell me please....We have aspen as her bedding. She has a water tub big enough for her to lay in.She has two places to hide,One on the cool side, and one on the warm.OK here is the biggie....We are using one light for her only...it is a red light... We turn it on when it gets a little dark outside and then turn it off when we get up in the morning. I was told by different people that I need one light then was told I need two.....One for night and one for day....Help...
P.S.
We have her tank by the window....So during day she is getting sunlight that comes thru the window.....
P.S.S.
We also feed her fuzzies twice a week...Sun and Thurs.....Should we change anything??????
Thanks a lot,
Anna

If you are using UTH you don't need any light. Some people use red to observe their snakes. A viv by the window really needs to have temp monitored as the sun can make it really warm inside. Usually it is suggested not to keep viv in window.
As for fuzzies how many? Every four to five days for hatchling up to a few months - one year. You could probably go to hoppers every 7 days, do a search for Munson Plan, it will give you weights and intervals.

Thanks But ?????

Ummmm what is UTH?
I will move it tomorrow.....Promise
I feed her 1 twice a week....They are Arctic Mice from petSmart and the thing says NET Weight 1 oz and also it says 30 grams so Ummm I guess the fuzzie weighs 30 grams? They are about the size of my index finger just a tad bit bigger around then my Alice...She eats them fine...She is even (killing)them now.ummm lets see oh yeah how do i weigh her? she is 2 feet and 3 inches long....11 months old....She was 3 months when we got her but still learning things.....Oh and she sheds about once amonth...is that normal or should she shed more?
Thanks alot for all the help
Anna

Lets see. UTH = Under Tank Heater. You can get them at any pet store. A thermostat is also recommended.

You need a kitchen scales that measures in grams to weigh her.

According to the "Munson Plan" you should be feeding her every 5-6 days, but once a week is acceptable.

Shedding once a month is pretty normal.

And it sounds like she is a good eater, especially if she is attcking her food. That is very good.

LOL dumb of me!!!!!!

I know what UTH is.....I am not so computer smart though..It took me a few to figure out you were talking about under tank heating pads....Also let me tell a little bit about some of my snake history......We got Alice back in Jan when she was a tiny thing....See pic......And I have done great so far but everytime I talk to people at pet stores they all tell me different stuff....Like At petland they told me I wasn't feeding her enough since she ate her mice so fast....Like it was gone in less then a few min...And then They told me that I was not heating her up enough...I read a book that said between 80 and 98 degrees was good but they said it needed to be hotter....and thenThey told me not to use the UTH that they had a lot of people complaing about there snakes getting burnt so I switched to the above the tank heater...Um mm oh yeah and then was told by other people that I need to put the tank next to window for natural light...And then was told not to feed her if she looked like she was going to shed....So I am real confused....What I do is I look up info and then do what I think is best....But some help from the pros will be very helpful...I only have one and she seems healthy loves being held.....Just wanted to ask some questions to see what people with cornsnakes really do...Instead of listing to people who sell them at stores....So if any of my questions seem dumb I am sorry....The reason for this long note is because I was reading in the site and just didn't want to be yelled at for asking questions that I should know....I have read up on corns and I own a book I bought when I got her....But it isn't the same as getting the facts from someone who has went thru the same thing....So THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL REPLIES TO MY QUESTIONS....These are pictures of Alice a week after we got her she is now 2 feet and 3 inches long now.....

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 12
  • snake1111.jpg
    snake1111.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 12
Back